Elastic Potential Energy of a marble

In summary, a marble is shot horizontally from a spring with a force constant of 12 N/m, compressed a distance of 4.0 cm. The marble has a mass of 8.3 X 10 ^ -3 kg and hits a target located 93.0 cm below the lab bench. Using the equations for elastic energy and kinetic energy, the initial velocity of the marble is found to be 1.52 m/s. By considering the vertical motion of the marble and neglecting air resistance, the time it takes for the marble to hit the floor is calculated. Using this time and the average velocity of the marble, the horizontal distance traveled before hitting the floor is determined.
rum2563

Homework Statement

A horizontal spring, of force constant 12 N/m is mounted at the edge of a lab bench to shoot marbles at targets on the floor 93.0 cm below. A marble of mass 8.3 X 10 ^ -3 kg is shot from the spring, which is initially compressed a distance of 4.0 cm. How far does the marble travel horizontally before hitting the floor?

Homework Equations

E-elastic = 1/2kx^2
E-gravity = mgy
E-kinetic = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The given information:
m = 8.3 X 10 ^ -3 kg
k = 12 N/m
x = 4.0 cm --> 0.04 m
delta Y = 93 cm --> 0.93 m

In the start, the elastic energy and the kinetic energy should be the same. So for some reason, I think I have to find the velocity.
Ee = Ek
1/2kx^2 = 1/2mv^2
1/2 (12) (0.04)^2 = 1/2 (8.3 X 10 ^ -3)v^2
0.0096 = 0.00415 X v^2
v^2 = 2.31
v= 1.52 m/s

So now that I have velocity, I think I can find the horizontal distance.
But I don't know what to do now. Can anyone please help me? Thanks.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Our teacher told us that we cannot use the equation delta X = vi^2 / g X sin2theta. So please anyone help me in doing in this question without the use of this projectile motion equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
could anyone please help...i got to hand this in tomorrow...

Today is tomorrow, but I will help...just wait for my next response

Alright, with the velocity in place you have found the initial velocity (considering the ball started going down after it was released). Now you need to find, let's say...the time (t) as to how long it takes to reach the limit of hitting the floor, so let's first consider the ball's vertical motion (y). Using the equation
s = (1/2)at^2 + v0t in which s = .93m, v0 = 0m/s [the ball was traveling horizontally at 1.52m/s, but it is relatively dropping vertically for sin(0) = 0] and a = 9.8m/s^2 (vertical component - acceleration of gravity)...you'll be able to find the time it takes right before hitting the floor. Now, since we're neglecting air resistance (I'm assuming), the velocity of the vector component x is the same at any time, so just use x = x0 + avg(v)t, in which the avg(v) is simply 1.52m/s at any time. x0 is 0 and t is the value you solved for earlier. The answer is the horizontal distance traveled.

Last edited:

1. What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. It is a type of potential energy that is dependent on the object's position or shape.

2. How is elastic potential energy related to a marble?

When a marble is stretched or compressed, it gains elastic potential energy. This energy is stored in the marble as it is deformed, and is released when the marble returns to its original shape.

3. How is elastic potential energy calculated for a marble?

The formula for calculating elastic potential energy is E = 1/2 * k * x^2, where E is the elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the object.

4. What factors affect the elastic potential energy of a marble?

The elastic potential energy of a marble is affected by the spring constant of the object (how stiff it is), the distance the marble is stretched or compressed, and the mass of the marble.

5. How is elastic potential energy used in real life?

Elastic potential energy has various applications in everyday life, such as in springs used in trampolines, pogo sticks, and shock absorbers. It is also used in mechanical devices, such as watches, to store and release energy. Additionally, elastic potential energy is used in sports equipment, such as tennis rackets and bows, to provide power and force.