Is the moon made of green cheese?

In summary, Swiss cheese, I suppose, looks a little bit like the moon, since it's got holes which you could compare to craters, but no one ever says that the moon looks like Swiss cheese. So this "green cheese" must be it's own variety - but it's not something I am familiar with here in the U.S. Could you explain? On a side note, i just discovered i type at about 70 wpm. i think that's pretty neat for someone who only uses computers for conversation mostly. Oh, and speaking of cheese, what defines a cheese? cause cottage cheese isn't much like other cheeses... well, its sort of goat cheesey
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
A recent spate of now closed threads gave me an irriisistable impulse to ask this question...

Physics news on Phys.org
A more curious question: what exactly IS green cheese? I mean, I've had cheese that turned green, for sure, but I've never gone to the market and specifically asked for "green cheese".
Swiss cheese, I suppose, looks a little bit like the moon, since it's got holes which you could compare to craters, but no one ever says that the moon looks like Swiss cheese. So this "green cheese" must be it's own variety - but it's not something I am familiar with here in the U.S.
Could you explain? :confused:

hmm... the moon isn't green though... so why would it be made of green cheese? I've heard it made of swiss cheese actually... or maybe that's what i assumed when they said it was made out of cheese.

on a side note, i just discovered i type at about 70 wpm. i think that's pretty neat for someone who only uses computers for conversation mostly.

oh, and speaking of cheese, what defines a cheese? cause cottage cheese isn't much like other cheeses... well, its sort of goat cheesey... but goat cheese is weird too...

and speaking of the moon... don't you think we should implement population controls up there soon? think of all the private ventures now... let's nip the overpopulation in the bud this time eh?!

Cecil explains it all

I couldn't sleep until I got an answer..

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a990723a.html

Question: "Dear Cecil: How did the myth about the moon being made out of cheese start?"

Answer: "That's the problem with being a smartass. You unload some priceless bon mot and 400 years later, out of context, you sound like an idiot. Here's an early green cheese citation from John Heywood's Proverbes (1546): "The moon is made of a greene cheese," greene meaning new, unaged. One can find similar quotes in the works of Francois Rabelais and Thomas More. I'm hearing sarcasm here, but in that era before ;-) one can't be sure. Other citations are clearer: "You may as soon persuade some Country Peasants, that the Moon is made of Green Cheese (as we say) as that 'tis bigger than his Cart-wheel" (Wilkins, New World 1, 1638), the implication being that Luna's non-cheesiosity was not a matter regarding which even the rustics were in doubt."

On a really bizarre side note, this reminds me that the design scheme for Windows XP user interface was code-named Luna. Could we infer from this that it's somewhat cheesy and full of holes? :biggrin:

"...one small step for man..." You know they brought a case of tricuits on that mission?

i hate cheese because it smells bad and tastes rancid :(

Has nobody seen Wallace & Grommit, - A Grand Day Out?

That I have! Champion, that is!

Anyway, if the moon were to be made of cheese, it would surely be blue-ish white cheese?

Gale17 said:
hmm... the moon isn't green though...
The moon surface is more or less grey. Perhaps it's moldy cheese.

Gale17 said:
and speaking of the moon... don't you think we should implement population controls up there soon? think of all the private ventures now... let's nip the overpopulation in the bud this time eh?!
An ounce of pre-emption, . . . .

Conclusion, it is made out of cheese isn't it !
They had me fooled all this while >.<

Kakarot said:
i hate cheese because it smells bad and tastes rancid :(
You must be eating stinky French cheese. You won't have that problem at all with American cheeses. Our laws require them to all be pasteurized, so no stinky, rancid smells or tastes (though the French find our cheese terribly bland).

Math Is Hard said:
the design scheme for Windows XP user interface was code-named Luna. Could we infer from this that it's somewhat cheesy and full of holes? :biggrin:
You can infer that from the name 'Windows'. 'Luna' is just rubbing it in.

brewnog said:
"This tastes like no cheese I've ever tasted, Grommet."

I think it was a wise move on the part of Wallace and Grommit to leave the mice standing behind wearing dark glasses :cool::cool::cool::cool:(less to share the cheese with) :wink:. (And, of course, to wear the correct trousers.)

I take it you're a Mac user, Math Is Hard? you sound like my friend who would sell his mother into prostitution before choosing a Windows PC over a Mac...

kurushio95 said:
I take it you're a Mac user, Math Is Hard? you sound like my friend who would sell his mother into prostitution before choosing a Windows PC over a Mac...
Believe it or not, I'm strictly a Windows gal... but I feel filthy and disgusted about it every day. :redface: My last few jobs forced me to switch over and join the PC/Windows ranks exclusively, but I still miss my Mac and worship Jobs and Wozniak as gods.

brewnog said:
:rofl: hint, hint! brewnog :wink:

Astronuc said:
:rofl: hint, hint! brewnog :wink:

Fine, fine! I'll be your monkey, Astronuc!

kurushio95 said:

Math Is Hard said:
Believe it or not, I'm strictly a Windows gal... but I feel filthy and disgusted about it every day. :redface: My last few jobs forced me to switch over and join the PC/Windows ranks exclusively, but I still miss my Mac and worship Jobs and Wozniak as gods.
So where exactly is your mother working MIH? :tongue2: :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Our laws require them to all be pasteurized, so no stinky, rancid smells or tastes (though the French find our cheese terribly bland).

:rofl: :rofl:

Do you have, by law, also to boil wine for half an hour ? :tongue2:

1. Is the moon actually made of green cheese?

No, the moon is not made of green cheese. This is just a phrase used to describe something that is impossible or absurd. The moon is actually made up of rock and dust.

2. Where did the phrase "the moon is made of green cheese" come from?

The phrase originated from an old folktale in which a man claimed that he could make cheese from moonbeams. This story was meant to teach a lesson about not believing everything you hear.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea that the moon is made of green cheese?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support this idea. In fact, scientific studies have shown that the composition of the moon is consistent with other rocky bodies in our solar system.

4. Why is the phrase "the moon is made of green cheese" still used today?

The phrase has become a common idiom and is often used in a humorous or sarcastic way. It is not meant to be taken literally, but rather to express disbelief or skepticism.

5. Can humans ever know for sure what the moon is made of?

Yes, humans have sent multiple spacecraft and astronauts to the moon, and extensive research has been done on moon rocks and soil samples. We now have a very good understanding of the moon's composition and can say with certainty that it is not made of green cheese.