Is the Operator C Hermitian and What are the Eigenfunctions and Eigenvalues?

In summary, the operator \hat{C}, which satisfies the property \hat{C}\phi(x) = \phi^*(x), is not Hermitian. The eigenvalues of \hat{C} are all forms of e^{i\alpha}, where \alpha is a real number, and the eigenfunctions are all real functions. The calculation for determining the eigenvalues was incorrect and has been corrected.
Domnu
Problem
Consider the operator [tex]\hat{C}[/tex] which satisfies the property that [tex]\hat{C} \phi (x) = \phi ^ * (x)[/tex]. Is [tex]\hat{C}[/tex] Hermitian? What are the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of [tex]\hat{C}[/tex]?

Solution
We have

[tex]\hat{C} \phi = \phi ^ *[/tex]
[tex]\iff \phi^* \hat{C}^\dagger = \phi [/tex]

Substituting back into the first equation,
[tex]\hat{C} (\phi^* \hat{C}^\dagger) = \phi ^ * = \hat{C} \phi[/tex]
[tex]\iff (\hat{C} \phi)(\hat{C} - I) = 0[/tex]

Now, we know that [tex]\hat{C} \phi \neq 0[/tex], since (we assume that) [tex]\phi[/tex] isn't zero... if [tex]\hat{C} = 0,[/tex] then the original property that [tex]\hat{C}[/tex] satisfied couldn't possibly be true. Thus, we have that [tex]\hat{C} = I[/tex], which is clearly Hermitian.

Since [tex]\hat{C}[/tex] is just the identity operator, we know that all functions are the eigenfunctions of [tex]\hat{C}[/tex] and the only eigenvalue of [tex]\hat{C}[/tex] is 1.

Could someone verify that the above is true? It seems too simple =/

Physics news on Phys.org
C is OBVIOUSLY not the identity. It's the complex conjugation operator. It takes a function into it's complex conjugate. The identity takes a function into itself. Are you sure you can't think of any eigenstates of C?? They are pretty easy. Then write down the definition of Hermitian without trying to think of C as a matrix.

Dick said:
C is OBVIOUSLY not the identity. It's the complex conjugation operator. It takes a function into it's complex conjugate. The identity takes a function into itself. Are you sure you can't think of any eigenstates of C?? They are pretty easy. Then write down the definition of Hermitian without trying to think of C as a matrix.

Heh, whoops... I see that all real functions are eigenstates for C. And C is not Hermitian... my calculation messed up in the factorization, which is incorrect. It's not Hermitian, because

[tex]\langle a | C b \rangle = \langle a | b^* \rangle = a^* b^*[/tex]
[tex]\langle Ca | b \rangle = \langle a^* | b \rangle = ab[/tex]

We can see that all forms of [tex]e^{i\alpha}[/tex] are eigenvalues, where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is some real number. This is because

[tex]C \phi = p \phi \iff \phi^* = p \phi \iff \phi = p^* \phi^* \iff \phi^* = pp^* \phi^* \iff p^*p = 1 \iff p = e^{i \alpha}[/tex]

for some [tex]\alpha \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Thanks a bunch for the help and motivation to solve the problem!

Related to Is the Operator C Hermitian and What are the Eigenfunctions and Eigenvalues?

1. What is a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is a mathematical object used in quantum mechanics to represent physical observables. It is a linear operator that is equal to its own Hermitian conjugate, which means it is equal to the complex conjugate of its transpose.

2. How do you determine if an operator is Hermitian or not?

To determine if an operator is Hermitian, you need to calculate its Hermitian conjugate and see if it is equal to itself. If it is, then the operator is Hermitian. If not, then it is not Hermitian. Another way to check is to see if all of its eigenvalues are real numbers.

3. What are the properties of a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator has several important properties, including:

• Its eigenvalues are real numbers.
  • Its eigenvectors corresponding to different eigenvalues are orthogonal.
  • It can be diagonalized by a unitary transformation.
  • Its expectation value is always real.

4. Why are Hermitian operators important in quantum mechanics?

Hermitian operators are important in quantum mechanics because they represent physical observables, such as position, momentum, and energy. They also have real eigenvalues, which correspond to the possible outcomes of a measurement, making them useful for predicting the results of experiments and calculations in quantum systems.

5. Can a non-Hermitian operator be used in quantum mechanics?

Yes, non-Hermitian operators can be used in quantum mechanics, but they do not represent physical observables. They are often used in theoretical models and calculations, but any physical predictions made using non-Hermitian operators must be checked against experimental data to ensure their accuracy.