Is the Pre-image of a Borel Set Measurable?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, a Borel set is a set that can be formed from open sets through certain operations. The pre-image of a Borel set is the set of points that map to the Borel set under a function. Knowing if the pre-image is measurable is important in measure theory and has applications in probability theory, functional analysis, and other areas of mathematics. The measurability of the pre-image is determined by how the function preserves the measure of the underlying space.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Here's this week's problem.

-----

Problem: Let $f$ be a measurable function on a measure space $(X,\Lambda,\mu)$. Show that the pre-image of any Borel set of $\mathbb{R}$ is also in $\Lambda$.

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's question. Here's my solution.
Proof: Let $f$ be measurable and let $B\subset\mathbb{R}$ be a Borel set. Let $\mathcal{F}=\{E\subset\mathbb{R}:f^{-1}(E)\in\Lambda\}$ be a collection of sets. Assuming that $E\in\mathcal{F}$, then
\[f^{-1}(E^c)=(f^{-1}(E))^c\text{ is measurable}.\]

Therefore, $E^c\in\mathcal{F}$. Now, suppose $\{E_i\}\in\mathcal{F}$ is a sequence of sets. Then\[f^{-1}(\bigcup E_i)=\bigcup f^{-1}(E_i)\text{ is measurable}.\]Therefore, $\bigcup E_i\in\mathcal{F}$. Thus, $\mathcal{F}$ is a $\sigma$-algebra.Now, note that for any $a,b\in\mathbb{R}$ with $a<b$, the sets $\{x:f(x)>a\}$ and $\{x:f(x)<b\}$ are both measurable. Thus, it follows that $(a,\infty),(-\infty,b)\in\mathcal{F}$. Thus, $(a,b)=(a,\infty)\cap(-\infty,b)\in\mathcal{F}$. Therefore, the $\sigma$-algebra $\mathcal{F}$ contains all open sets, which implies that all Borel sets $B$ are in $\mathcal{F}$. Thus, $f^{-1}(B)$ is measurable.Q.E.D.

Related to Is the Pre-image of a Borel Set Measurable?

1. What is a Borel set?

A Borel set is a set in a topological space that can be formed from open sets through the operations of countable union, countable intersection, and relative complement.

2. What is a pre-image of a Borel set?

The pre-image of a Borel set is the set of all points in the domain of a function that map to the Borel set in the codomain of the function.

3. Why is it important to know if the pre-image of a Borel set is measurable?

Knowing if the pre-image of a Borel set is measurable is important in the study of measure theory, which is used in various branches of mathematics, including probability theory and functional analysis.

4. How is the measurability of the pre-image of a Borel set determined?

The measurability of the pre-image of a Borel set is determined by whether the function mapping the points in the pre-image to the Borel set preserves the measure of the underlying space.

5. What are some applications of the concept of the pre-image of a Borel set being measurable?

The concept of the pre-image of a Borel set being measurable is used in various areas of mathematics, including probability theory, analysis, and topology.