Is the sign of the square root dependent on the argument inside it?

In summary, the principal square root of a number depends on whether the argument inside is positive or negative, with a positive argument resulting in a positive real root and a negative argument resulting in a positive imaginary root. However, there are two roots for every number, the principal root and -1 times the principal root. This is demonstrated through the example of 2 and -2 being roots of the square root of 4. For a negative argument, there are two imaginary roots, 2i and -2i. The choice of root is not dictated by human free will, but rather determined by the argument inside.
jk22
Could it be said that since ##a=A(f(x))\sqrt{f(x)}##, with ##A(x)\in\{1,-1\}## then ##a^2=f(x)##,, that ##a## is the square root of ##f(x)## ?

In other words could the sign of the root depend on the argument inside it ?

Else it would have to be chosen by human free will and to be blocked for the rest of the calculation ?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the principal square root of a number is positive real or positive imaginary based on whether the argument inside is a positive or negative number.

However, we realize that there are two roots the principal root and -1 times the principal root.

As an example, both 2 and -2 are roots of the square root of 4. 2 is the principal root and -2 is another root since (-2)*(-2) = 4 just as 2 * 2 = 4

In the case of a negative -4 then the roots are 2i and -2i

More fun stuff here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_root

Likes HallsofIvy

1. What is the significance of the sign before a square root?

The sign before a square root indicates whether the result will be positive or negative. A positive sign indicates a positive result, while a negative sign indicates a negative result.

2. Why is it important to include the sign before a square root?

Including the sign before a square root is important because it accurately represents the result of the calculation. Without the sign, the result may be incorrect and misleading.

3. Can the sign before a square root be ignored?

No, the sign before a square root cannot be ignored. It is an essential part of the calculation and must be included to accurately represent the result.

4. How do I know which sign to use before a square root?

The sign before a square root depends on the context of the problem. If the problem involves finding the distance or length of something, the result will always be positive. If the problem involves finding the difference between two values, the result may be positive or negative depending on the values.

5. Can the sign before a square root change the value of the result?

Yes, the sign before a square root can change the value of the result. For example, the square root of 9 is 3, but the square root of -9 is not a real number. Therefore, the sign before a square root is important in determining the validity and accuracy of the result.