Is the trace of an outer product always equal to 1?

In summary, the trace of an outer product of a normalized state, expressed as an arbitrary linear combination of orthonormal basis elements, will always be equal to 1. This is known as the density matrix, formed from a pure state and its dual, and can be calculated by expressing the outer product in terms of the linear combination and finding the trace with respect to the basis.
kq6up
Is the trace of an outer product of a normalized state eq. (psi) equal to 1?

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Physics news on Phys.org
kq6up said:
Is the trace of an outer product of a normalized state eq. (psi) equal to 1?

It would be good for you to calculate this.

Let ##\left\{\left| \psi_i \right>\right\}## be an orthonormal basis.

Steps:

1) express ##\left| \psi \right>## as an arbitrary linear combination of basis elements; 2) express the outer product in terms of this linear combination; 3) find the trace with respect to this basis.

You might need a few more hints.

I think I have it, but my LaTeX editor is giving me fits with this half bra-ket stuff. I will post it after I install MacTex on my new computer.

That will be a while 2.2Gb later.

Regards,
Chris Maness

If you know the code, you can type LaTex here. We've got enabled through Mathjax.

1. What is an outer product?

An outer product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a matrix. It is also known as a tensor product or Kronecker product.

2. How is the trace of an outer product calculated?

The trace of an outer product is calculated by taking the sum of the diagonal elements of the resulting matrix. This can also be written as the dot product of the two vectors.

3. What does the trace of an outer product represent?

The trace of an outer product represents the inner product of the two vectors. It is a measure of how similar or related the two vectors are to each other.

4. How is an outer product used in science?

An outer product is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It is commonly used in linear algebra and calculus to solve problems involving vectors and matrices.

5. Can the trace of an outer product be negative?

Yes, the trace of an outer product can be negative. The sign of the trace depends on the values and orientation of the vectors used in the outer product.