Is the trace of an outer product always equal to 1?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
kq6up
Messages
366
Reaction score
13
Is the trace of an outer product of a normalized state eq. (psi) equal to 1?

Thanks,
Chris Maness
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kq6up said:
Is the trace of an outer product of a normalized state eq. (psi) equal to 1?

It would be good for you to calculate this.

Let ##\left\{\left| \psi_i \right>\right\}## be an orthonormal basis.

Steps:

1) express ##\left| \psi \right>## as an arbitrary linear combination of basis elements; 2) express the outer product in terms of this linear combination; 3) find the trace with respect to this basis.

You might need a few more hints.
 
I think I have it, but my LaTeX editor is giving me fits with this half bra-ket stuff. I will post it after I install MacTex on my new computer.

That will be a while 2.2Gb later.

Regards,
Chris Maness