Is the wavefunction for this system unique?

In summary, the given problem involves finding the wavefunction and energy levels of a particle in a box. Part (a) provides the solution for the wavefunction and energy levels, while part (b) discusses the possibility of a unique wavefunction. Part (c) asks for the probability of finding the particle in the ground state, which is 3/4. Finally, part (d) asks for the probability of finding the particle in the second excited state, which is 1/4.
unscientific

Homework Statement

344eeip.png

Part (a): Find wavefunction and energy levels.
Part (b): Find a possible wavefunction. Is this wavefunction unique?
Part (c): What is the probability of finding it in the ground state?
Part (d): What's the probability of finding it in the second excited state?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a)
I have found the wavefunction and energy levels:

[tex]\phi = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin\left(\frac{n_x \pi x}{a}\right)sin\left(\frac{n_y \pi y}{a}\right)[/tex]

[tex]E = \frac{\hbar^2}{8ma^2}(n_x^2 + n_y^2)[/tex]

If a = b, there is degeneracy in the first excited state: |nx,ny> |1,0> and |0,1> give the same energy.

Part (b)
[tex]E = E_0 + \frac{(E_1-E_0)}{4} = \frac{3}{4}E_0 + \frac{1}{4}E_1[/tex]

I'm guessing the wavefunction will be a linear combination of ground and first excited state:

[tex] |\psi \rangle = \frac{3}{4}|\psi_0\rangle + \frac{1}{4}|\psi_1\rangle[/tex]
[tex] |\psi \rangle = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sqrt{\frac{2}{b}}\left[\frac{3}{4} sin(\frac{\pi x}{a})sin(\frac{\pi y}{a}) +\frac{1}{4}sin(\frac{2\pi x}{a})sin(\frac{2\pi y}{a})\right][/tex]

But the thing is, this wavefunction isn't normalized, as ##(\frac{1}{4})^2 + (\frac{3}{4})^2 = \frac{10}{16}##.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think that [tex]|\psi \rangle = \frac{3}{4}|\psi_0\rangle + \frac{1}{4}|\psi_1\rangle [/tex] its wrong

the correct could be [tex]|\psi \rangle = (\frac{3}{4})^{1/2}|\psi_0\rangle + (\frac{1}{4})^{1/2}|\psi_1\rangle [/tex]

Likes 1 person
unscientific said:
Part (a)
I have found the wavefunction and energy levels:

[tex]\phi = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin\left(\frac{n_x \pi x}{a}\right)sin\left(\frac{n_y \pi y}{a}\right)[/tex]

[tex]E = \frac{\hbar^2}{8ma^2}(n_x^2 + n_y^2)[/tex]

If a = b, there is degeneracy in the first excited state: |nx,ny> |1,0> and |0,1> give the same energy.

The expression for ##E## seems to be wrong, or is it just me? Is that ##8## in denominator just a typo or... ? You should check that, because I also think ##\pi ## is missing.

Also note that if ##n=0## there is nothing happening. The probability to find a particle is ##|\psi |^2=\frac{2}{a}sin^2(\frac{n\pi }{a}x)=0## if ##n=0## also the energy of state with ##n=0## is zero. Therefore state with ##n=0## does NOT exist. Ground state is ##n=1##.

Fisica said:
i think that [tex]|\psi \rangle = \frac{3}{4}|\psi_0\rangle + \frac{1}{4}|\psi_1\rangle [/tex] its wrong

the correct could be [tex]|\psi \rangle = (\frac{3}{4})^{1/2}|\psi_0\rangle + (\frac{1}{4})^{1/2}|\psi_1\rangle [/tex]

That's right, because ##E = \langle \psi| H | \psi \rangle##.

But it's not unique, right? Because the state can be exapanded as a series of eigenkets: ##|\psi\rangle = \sum_n a_n |E_n\rangle##.

Last edited:
skrat said:
The expression for ##E## seems to be wrong, or is it just me? Is that ##8## in denominator just a typo or... ? You should check that, because I also think ##\pi ## is missing.

Sorry it should be ##h## instead of ##\hbar##. The correct energy is ##E = \frac{h}{8ma^2}##
skrat said:
Also note that if ##n=0## there is nothing happening. The probability to find a particle is ##|\psi |^2=\frac{2}{a}sin^2(\frac{n\pi }{a}x)=0## if ##n=0## also the energy of state with ##n=0## is zero. Therefore state with ##n=0## does NOT exist. Ground state is ##n=1##.

Yea that's right. I think they usually use ##E_0## to denote ground state but the '0' really means n=1 state.

Is the probability ## \frac{3}{4} ## then?

Last edited:
Also note that the reason the state is not unique is that there is an arbitrary phase ø between the states |ψ> = a|ψ1> + e b|ψ2>.

unscientific said:
Sorry it should be ##h## instead of ##\hbar##. The correct energy is ##E = \frac{h}{8ma^2}##

Close enough. It's actually ##E_n=\frac{\hbar ^2\pi ^2n^2}{2ma^2}=\frac{h^2n^2}{8ma^2}##
unscientific said:
Is the probability ## \frac{3}{4} ## then?

Yes, to find/measure the particle with ##E_0## (particle in ground state) the probability is ##\frac{3}{4}##.

skrat said:
Close enough. It's actually ##E_n=\frac{\hbar ^2\pi ^2n^2}{2ma^2}=\frac{h^2n^2}{8ma^2}##

Yeah you're right. I keep missing stuff out..

skrat said:
Yes, to find/measure the particle with ##E_0## (particle in ground state) the probability is ##\frac{3}{4}##.

Just that for 4 marks? It seems too easy to be true!

And for part (c), the probability for finding the particle in second excited state is...##\frac{1}{4}##? And again that for 3 marks?!

Well the problem says that ##E=\frac{3}{4}E_0+\frac{1}{4}E_1## and coefficient before ##E_n## is the probability to find particle in state ##n##.

The problem alsto states that the probability to find a particle in any state with ##n\geq 2## is basically equal to zero. It is trivial to check that, because ##3/4 +1/4 = 1##.

Likes 1 person
There might be a small probability the state might not be E0 or E1 as long as the probability is small enough that a 1000 particle sample might just have missed it.

Likes 1 person

1. What is an infinite potential well?

An infinite potential well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a certain region of space. The well has infinite potential barriers on either side, meaning that the particle is unable to escape from the region.

2. How does an infinite potential well work?

In an infinite potential well, the particle is confined to a specific energy level and cannot move beyond the boundaries of the well. This creates a standing wave pattern, with nodes at the boundaries and antinodes in the middle. The particle's energy is quantized and only certain energy levels are allowed.

3. What is the significance of an infinite potential well in quantum mechanics?

The infinite potential well is a simple model that helps us understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces. It also demonstrates the concept of quantization, where energy levels are discrete rather than continuous. This model is often used to introduce students to the principles of quantum mechanics.

4. Can a particle escape from an infinite potential well?

No, a particle cannot escape from an infinite potential well. The infinite potential barriers on either side prevent the particle from leaving the well. However, the particle can tunnel through the barriers with a very small probability.

5. How is the width of an infinite potential well related to the energy of the particle?

The energy of a particle in an infinite potential well is inversely proportional to the width of the well. This means that a wider well will have lower energy levels and a narrower well will have higher energy levels. As the width approaches infinity, the energy levels become closer together, approaching a continuous spectrum.