Solving for Side Length of Right Pyramid with Height/Volume

In summary, the volume of the pyramid is 554.9 and its height is 15.1. The formula to find the volume of a pyramid is V=1/3lwh. To solve for the base area, use the formula lw = 3V/h. If the base is square, the side length can be found by taking the square root of 3V/h.
Shannog

Homework Statement

Basically the volume of the pyramid is 554.9 and its height is 15.1. I know that the forumla to find the volume of a pyramid is V=1/3lwh but I'm too dumb to figure out how to switch it around to make it work.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start!

Physics news on Phys.org

V= (1/3)lwh is the volume of a pyramid with rectangular base with side lengths l and w and height h. If you know the volume of the pyramid, V, and height l, then you can solve for the base area as lw= 3V/h. You cannot solve for l and w separately- they can be any numbers that multiply to give 3V/h. If you know the base is square, with side lengths l= w= s, you have [itex]s^2= 3V/h[/itex] then [itex]s= \sqrt{3V/h}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I find the side length of a right pyramid with a given height?

To find the side length of a right pyramid with a given height, you can use the formula: side length = square root of [(height squared) + (1/4)(base length squared)]. This formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem, where the height is the hypotenuse and the base length is the base of a right triangle.

2. Can I use the volume of a right pyramid to solve for the side length?

Yes, you can use the volume of a right pyramid to solve for the side length. The formula is: side length = square root of [(4)(volume) / (height)]. This formula is derived from the volume formula for a pyramid (1/3)(base area)(height), where the base area is equal to (1/2)(base length)(apothem).

3. What if I only have the slant height of the pyramid?

If you only have the slant height of the pyramid, you can still solve for the side length using the formula: side length = square root of [(slant height squared) - (1/4)(base length squared)]. This formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem, where the slant height is the hypotenuse and the base length is the base of a right triangle.

4. Can I use trigonometry to solve for the side length of a right pyramid?

Yes, you can use trigonometry to solve for the side length of a right pyramid. You can use the sine, cosine, or tangent functions, depending on the given information. For example, if you know the height and the angle between the height and the base, you can use the sine function to solve for the side length.

5. Is there a way to check my answer?

Yes, there are a few ways to check your answer. One way is to use the given height and your calculated side length to find the volume of the pyramid using the formula (1/3)(base area)(height). Another way is to use a calculator to find the surface area of the pyramid using the formula (1/2)(base perimeter)(slant height) and compare it to the given surface area.