1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a future in Engineering

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    Hello,
    I am in my Second year Engineering science student at a local community college. My Mathematics and Science classes are in the A to B+ range, but my English is in the C- to C range. Is there a future in Engineering for me? If so could colleges still take me with low English grades?

The fields of Engineering, I am thinking about are Nuclear, Biomedical, and Aerospace.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2
    Math and science are obviously most important in engineering. But a firm grasp on the english language, proper grammar, and comprehendable writing structure are all important. As much as engineering is about solving problems, it is also about conveying those solutions adequately and clearly to various people in different disciplines (sales, management, construction, fabrication, etc).

Poor english skills should not preclude you from getting an engineering degree. But you'll have to work on these skills if you want to find a good job in industry.

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    Yes theres a future. Travis said it correctly; you, your ideas, your grades, and ultimately your life, will be vastly improved by developing effective communication skills.

5. Dec 5, 2011 #4
    Thank You, I have very long road ahead. My first year of college I was very lazy, then over the summer I realize that in order to get get through life I need to become book smart and work hard. Right now my GPA is on the low(because I would go to class, then I did not review the class notes. Now look back at what happen I think back to my first year of college was 13tth grade for me) but you guys think as I continue to get A's and B's my GPA will climb?

BTW I haven't work this hard in my life so this have been a new path for me. That why these questions are weird. Also over the summer I realize I had gift that my parents did not tell me about. So we got a local teacher to help apply that gift to Math and Science. So half way through this term the college switch my major to engineering because of this gift.

The gift name I forgot (It is like high functioning autism. I think), but when I learn Math I can see those functions being transformed before the teacher writes the answer on the broad.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  6. Dec 29, 2011 #5
    I finish this past term with a 3.4 GPA(much better then HS years) driving my CGPA up to 2.6172. If I keep getting B+ to A's in the future can I still be able to get into a 4 year program? The places I am looking at are RIT, UB, U of R, RPI, and SUNY Stony Brook. U of R, RPI, and SUNY Stony Brook are on the list if I get a 3.3 or higher in cal1,2,3 and differential equation. Which I think I will 3.3 or higher in cal 1 and 2 but we will see.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  7. Dec 29, 2011 #6
    make sure your math/science grades are as strong as you can get them to be, i know more than one engineer who can't spell 'miscellaneous' without using spell check.

8. Dec 29, 2011 #7
    What do you mean strong?

9. Dec 29, 2011 #8
    i cant spell that word either hahaha. I don't remember ever having to use "miscellaneous" in paper.

In this case, strong means good.

10. Dec 29, 2011 #9
    I think you guys are missing the question.
    If I keep getting B+ to A's in the future can I still be able to get into a 4 year program? At RIT, UB, U of R, RPI, and SUNY Stony Brook. U of R, RPI, and SUNY Stony Brook are on the list if I get a 3.3 or higher in cal1,2,3 and differential equation.
    I think I am scared that because my first year did not go well because of the college shock.
    or
    Should transfer to the local community college to save my GPA?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  11. Jan 5, 2012 #10
    is anyone out there?

12. Jan 6, 2012 #11
    Engineering is about math and science, as I said. If you have good math and science grades, you will be looked on favorably. As far as I know none of these folks work in admissions at any of those schools, so we can't really tell you the answer. Get B+'s and A's and you'll have a good chance. Write a good essay, too. Pick up those english grades.

As I mentioned, nobody wants an engineer who can't communicate his ideas.

With that said, you want to go to an engineering school. You wont have dedicated english classes there unless you take an elective. But you will have classes in which you have to write. (at least at RPI)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook