Is there a future in Engineering

In summary, Travis said that if you have good math and science grades, you will be looked on favorably. You will also have to work on your english skills if you want to find a good job in industry.
phyEngineer
Hello,
I am in my Second year Engineering science student at a local community college. My Mathematics and Science classes are in the A to B+ range, but my English is in the C- to C range. Is there a future in Engineering for me? If so could colleges still take me with low English grades?

The fields of Engineering, I am thinking about are Nuclear, Biomedical, and Aerospace.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math and science are obviously most important in engineering. But a firm grasp on the english language, proper grammar, and comprehendable writing structure are all important. As much as engineering is about solving problems, it is also about conveying those solutions adequately and clearly to various people in different disciplines (sales, management, construction, fabrication, etc).

Poor english skills should not preclude you from getting an engineering degree. But you'll have to work on these skills if you want to find a good job in industry.

Travis_King said:
... But a firm grasp on the english language, proper grammar, and comprehendable writing structure are all important. As much as engineering is about solving problems, it is also about conveying those solutions adequately and clearly to various people in different disciplines...
you'll have to work on these skills if you want to find a good job in industry.

Yes there's a future. Travis said it correctly; you, your ideas, your grades, and ultimately your life, will be vastly improved by developing effective communication skills.

Thank You, I have very long road ahead. My first year of college I was very lazy, then over the summer I realize that in order to get get through life I need to become book smart and work hard. Right now my GPA is on the low(because I would go to class, then I did not review the class notes. Now look back at what happen I think back to my first year of college was 13tth grade for me) but you guys think as I continue to get A's and B's my GPA will climb?

BTW I haven't work this hard in my life so this have been a new path for me. That why these questions are weird. Also over the summer I realize I had gift that my parents did not tell me about. So we got a local teacher to help apply that gift to Math and Science. So half way through this term the college switch my major to engineering because of this gift.

The gift name I forgot (It is like high functioning autism. I think), but when I learn Math I can see those functions being transformed before the teacher writes the answer on the broad.

Last edited:
I finish this past term with a 3.4 GPA(much better then HS years) driving my CGPA up to 2.6172. If I keep getting B+ to A's in the future can I still be able to get into a 4 year program? The places I am looking at are RIT, UB, U of R, RPI, and SUNY Stony Brook. U of R, RPI, and SUNY Stony Brook are on the list if I get a 3.3 or higher in cal1,2,3 and differential equation. Which I think I will 3.3 or higher in cal 1 and 2 but we will see.

Last edited:
make sure your math/science grades are as strong as you can get them to be, i know more than one engineer who can't spell 'miscellaneous' without using spell check.

What do you mean strong?

i can't spell that word either hahaha. I don't remember ever having to use "miscellaneous" in paper.

In this case, strong means good.

I think you guys are missing the question.
If I keep getting B+ to A's in the future can I still be able to get into a 4 year program? At RIT, UB, U of R, RPI, and SUNY Stony Brook. U of R, RPI, and SUNY Stony Brook are on the list if I get a 3.3 or higher in cal1,2,3 and differential equation.
I think I am scared that because my first year did not go well because of the college shock.
or
Should transfer to the local community college to save my GPA?

Last edited:
is anyone out there?

Engineering is about math and science, as I said. If you have good math and science grades, you will be looked on favorably. As far as I know none of these folks work in admissions at any of those schools, so we can't really tell you the answer. Get B+'s and A's and you'll have a good chance. Write a good essay, too. Pick up those english grades.

As I mentioned, nobody wants an engineer who can't communicate his ideas.

With that said, you want to go to an engineering school. You won't have dedicated english classes there unless you take an elective. But you will have classes in which you have to write. (at least at RPI)

1. What is the job outlook for engineers in the future?

The job outlook for engineers is expected to be positive in the future. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for engineers is projected to grow by 4% from 2019 to 2029, which is about average for all occupations. This growth is attributed to the need for engineers in various industries, such as manufacturing, construction, and technology.

2. How will advancements in technology affect the future of engineering?

Advancements in technology will have a significant impact on the future of engineering. With the rise of automation, artificial intelligence, and other emerging technologies, engineers will have to adapt and continuously learn new skills to stay relevant in their field. Additionally, these advancements will open up new opportunities for engineers to innovate and solve complex problems.

3. Will there be a demand for engineers in traditional fields in the future?

Yes, there will still be a demand for engineers in traditional fields such as mechanical, electrical, and civil engineering in the future. While the focus may shift towards emerging technologies, these traditional fields will still require skilled engineers to design and maintain infrastructure, equipment, and systems.

4. How will sustainability play a role in the future of engineering?

Sustainability will play a crucial role in the future of engineering. As the world becomes more environmentally conscious, there will be a growing demand for engineers who can design and implement sustainable solutions. This includes developing renewable energy sources, creating eco-friendly buildings and infrastructure, and finding ways to reduce waste and pollution.

5. What skills will be essential for engineers in the future?

In addition to technical skills, engineers will need to possess strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills in the future. As technology continues to advance, engineers will also need to have a willingness to learn and adapt to new technologies and processes. Creativity and innovation will also be essential as engineers tackle complex and ever-evolving challenges.