Is There a Hidden Meaning in Integrating the Lorentz Factor with Trig Sub?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Astro Boy 327
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Just for my own entertainment I integrated the Lorentz factor with respect to velocity, using basic trig sub, I got the equation arcsin(v/c)*(mc^2). What does this mean? Is it just useless and irrelevant in the physics world or does it have some sort of hidden meaning?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know where you got the mass from, there is no mass in the gamma factor nor in the velocity. Regardless, it does not a priori have any physical meaning to integrate the gamma factor wrt velocity.
 
Not sure what you mean by the Lorentz factor here. If I'm not mistaken you have integrated ##\int_0^v \gamma (v')mcdv'##. I'm not quite sure why you would want to do this.

Hyperbolic functions do turn up quite frequently when integrating velocities and the like in Special Relativity, which is a consequence of the structure of Minkowski space time. You might like to look up "rapidity".