Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a limit to how much energy can be stored in a photon?

1. Apr 29, 2013 #1
    hi all, I have a couple of questions.

is there a limit to how much energy can be stored in a photon?

And why does the spectrum only go to gamma rays?

And what is the higest observed energy and what made it ?

Thanx in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2013 #2
    There is no limit to how much energy there can be in a photon, unless you start getting into some speculative theories.

4. Apr 30, 2013 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

There is no upper limit. The energy E is simply E=hf, and the frequency f can be arbitrary high. The only question is whether the are processes via which high-energy photons a produced.

5. Apr 30, 2013 #4
    what would be above gamma rays? And how could these be produced.

6. Apr 30, 2013 #5
    and what is the higest frequency photon observed?

7. Apr 30, 2013 #6

Bill_K

Science Advisor

The highest measured energy is 16 TeV. At least, that's what it says here.

8. Apr 30, 2013 #7

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

That's 16 Joules as I read the wiki... an almost mind-boggling number, enough energy to be macroscopically observable.

9. May 1, 2013 #8
    the wiki article implies the existance of up to 10Eev

10. May 1, 2013 #9
    There is a limit to absorbed an energy into a photon. Some theories don't let us think that......... eg., Quantum Theory and basic principle laws of Quantum Mechanics, for that we have to do research on it.

11. May 3, 2013 #10
    can any known proces produce 100 Eev photons?

12. May 3, 2013 #11

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

If you don't know any such theory, what makes you believe that there is one?

13. May 3, 2013 #12
    I'm not sure that you can say a photon is anything besides energy. Is there a limit to the amount of energy stored in energy o_0 ???

14. May 3, 2013 #13

Bill_K

Science Advisor

A photon is not just disembodied energy! It exists, with a full set of properties, on the same basis as all the other elementary particles. In addition to energy and momentum it carries one unit ħ of spin, has space parity -1, charge parity -1, and couples to a conserved quantity, namely the charge-current 4-vector.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  15. May 3, 2013 #14
    once again, can any KNOWN process generate hypotheticly, 100 Eev photons? If so please give me the name.

16. May 3, 2013 #15

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There is not a limit.

Proof: Consider the following: suppose there were a maximum energy, E_max. You create a source of photons of energy E_max. Now you start walking towards it, blueshifting them. Now their energy is greater than E_max.

17. May 3, 2013 #16
    Hehe, I'm saying that it is disembodied because it has no dimensions in classical space. All of those quantum numbers are not what I would normally think of as a "body"... Perhaps you could think of all of those numbers as being vectors in Hilbert space. Then I guess you could say it's "embodied"!

18. May 4, 2013 #17

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

You can annihilate an electron-positron pair with sufficiently high energy.
    You can blue shift a photon (e.g. the cosmic background radiation) to arbitrary high energy by accelerating yourself.

19. May 4, 2013 #18
    As mentioned above the answer is no. Although saying that a photon stores energy seems like a quirky way to put it.

I would hazard go guess that the term gamma ray refers to any photon above a certain energy so that the photon energy levels to the right of all observed gamma rays corresponds also to gamma rays.

It's theoretically possible to move at any speed relative to a source of photons. As such you can move as close to the speed of light as you wish. The faster you go relative to the source of photons the higher the photons energy will be and as such there is no theoretical upper bound to the energy of gamma rays.

20. May 4, 2013 #19

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Note that while there is no limit on the energy of a single photon, there is a limit on the energy of the photons coming to us from distant sources. If they have energy high enough they will interact with the background radiation, so they will be filtered out. Google for Greisen–Zatsepin–Kuzmin limit.

21. May 4, 2013 #20
    what hapens if photon a with 10Eev energy and photon b with same energy collide head on? And what if three with the same energy collide with equal angles away from each other?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook