Understanding Photons: How They Emit Different Types of Energy

• Thread starter smartypants123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary: My question is: Do photons give off all types of radiation or do u have to influence them somehow; How do you make them release certain waves?
smartypants123
I know that photons give off light (in a "stream") but i recently learned that photons can give off all kinds of energy (or waves), like infrared, ultraviolet, gamma rays, and more. My question is: Do photons give off all kinds of radiation or do u have to influence them somehow; How do you make them release certain waves?

Science news on Phys.org
smartypants123 said:
I know that photons give off light (in a "stream") but i recently learned that photons can give off all kinds of energy (or waves), like infrared, ultraviolet, gamma rays, and more. My question is: Do photons give off all kinds of radiation or do u have to influence them somehow; How do you make them release certain waves?

Photons don't "give off" or release light in a stream or otherwise. When electromagnetic radiation (infrared, ultraviolet, visible, gamma, X-rays, radio, radar, microwave, whatever) interacts with matter, it always delivers its energy to that matter in discrete amounts; "photon" is the name we use for these discrete amounts of energy.

If you google for "what is a photon" you'll find some good links.

smartypants123 said:

Hm ... I thought I had already posted this but it was just sitting there. I see Nugatory has already answered so this is pretty much redundant but I'll add it anyway.Electromagnetic radiation is a wave and it is an entire spectrum of radiation, the names of some frequency segments of which are "visible light", "ultraviolet", "infrared", and so forth. Photons are an excitation of the wave when it hits an object, so it's not right to say that photons "give off energy"

how do people send off all kinds of waves (like the signal for a T.V. or wifi)?

smartypants123 said:
how do people send off all kinds of waves (like the signal for a T.V. or wifi)?

If you're asking how we generate EM waves, the simple answer is that we accelerate charged particles. A radio transmitter accelerates the charges in an antenna back and forth, which ends up creating EM waves at the frequency of oscillation.

Likes 1oldman2
please be a little more specific: How do they charge particles? How do they accelerate them? what do we use to make this work?

smartypants123 said:
How do they charge particles?

electrons are the charged particles in a conductor that get accelerated

smartypants123 said:
How do they accelerate them?

basically ...
by supplying an alternating electric field, this accelerates the electrons firstly in one direction and when the polarity of the AC cycle changes,
the electrons are accelerated in the opposite direction. This creates an electromagnetic field which is radiated away from the conductorfor further info google subjects like ... electromagnetic field, accelerating electrons, AC currentDave

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are photons?

Photons are fundamental particles of light and electromagnetic radiation. They are considered to be the smallest unit of light and have no mass or electric charge.

2. How do photons behave?

Photons behave as both particles and waves. This is known as wave-particle duality. They can travel in a straight line and have a specific amount of energy, but they can also diffract and interfere with each other like waves.

3. How are photons created?

Photons are created when an atom or molecule releases energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation. This can happen through a variety of processes, such as electron transitions, nuclear reactions, or even through the movement of charged particles.

4. What is the speed of a photon?

The speed of a photon is constant and is known as the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is considered to be the fastest speed possible in the universe.

5. What is the significance of photons?

Photons play a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives, such as providing us with light and enabling us to see. They are also important in various fields of science and technology, including telecommunications, solar energy, and medical imaging.