Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a see-through material with low outgassing rate?

1. Feb 10, 2015 #1
    I am helping one of my old physics professor and his Phd design a low-atmospheric vacuum chamber and we're looking at different materials to prevent outgassing. However the tank is almost 1m long and all the equipment inside must be taken out and checked after each test. It would be nice if we could see in to see which components aren't working or that need to be replaced. Is there a material out there that is transparent and has a minimal outgassing rate? The vacuum chamber must reduce to less than 10^-7 torr.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Feb 10, 2015 #3
  5. Feb 11, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Bake out time, resealing, outgassing? Any chance you can build multiple copies of your apparatus, and switch from "failed" to back-up "n" for lower down-time?

6. Feb 11, 2015 #5
    Borosilicate or aluminosilicate glass could work, but would require the use of a getter or pump to maintain that kind of pressure. There is also the risk of implosion, and it would probably be difficult to find someone to build a chamber that large.

W.r.t. constructing the chamber sliced down the middle (per your other thread,) I think you could definitely get away with a clamshell style chamber, although the surface area of the seal would probably be prohibitive for maintaining pressures that low. Can you actively pump on the system?

Are you at liberty to discuss any other details of the apparatus? An ultra-sciencey detector sounds right up my alley ;)

7. Feb 11, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What is wrong with commercial vacuum viewports? Google found some rated for even lower pressures.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook