Is There a Way to Override Reserved Symbols in Webpage Code?

In summary, you basically just take the second derivative of the given function and multiply it by the original then multiple everything by m. I just don’t understand how the second derivative would be negative.
Anonymous_
TL;DR Summary
I understand the formula f(x) =mx(dot) * x(double dot)
You basically just take the second derivative of the given function and multiply it by the original then multiple everything by m. I just don’t understand how the second derivative would be negative.

Attachments

• FF14BD75-E926-41ED-B3D7-6D9ABCF2F3E0.jpeg
    FF14BD75-E926-41ED-B3D7-6D9ABCF2F3E0.jpeg
    18.5 KB · Views: 315
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Got it

(1/x)=(x^-1)=(-x^-2)=(-1/x^2)

Are you asking why the derivative of ##1/x## w.r.t. ##x## is ##-1/x^2##?

Anonymous_ said:
Summary:: I understand the formula f(x) =mx(dot) * x(double dot)
This is somewhat hard to read. This site supports LaTeX, which can be used to write equations formatted nicely.
##f(x) = m\dot x \ddot x##
The script I used for the above is ##f(x) = m\dot x \ddot x##
There's a link to our tutorial at the lower left of the text entry pane -- click the link titled LaTeX Guide.
Anonymous_ said:
You basically just take the second derivative of the given function and multiply it by the original then multiple everything by m. I just don’t understand how the second derivative would be negative.
You're given that v(x) = a/x, so v(x) is decreasing (assuming a > 0), which makes its derivative negative.
Anonymous_ said:
Got it
This makes no sense.
##\frac 1 x = x^{-1}##, but ##x^{-1} \ne -x^{-2}##
You apparently took the derivative to get from the 2nd expression to the 3rd, but you don't give any indication that that's what you did. If I were your instructor, I would mark your work down for this.

Mark44 said:
This is somewhat hard to read. This site supports LaTeX, which can be used to write equations formatted nicely.
There's a link to our tutorial at the lower left of the text entry pane -- click the link titled LaTeX Guide.
You're given that v(x) = a/x, so v(x) is decreasing (assuming a > 0), which makes its derivative negative.
This makes no sense.
##\frac 1 x = x^{-1}##, but ##x^{-1} \ne -x^{-2}##
You apparently took the derivative to get from the 2nd expression to the 3rd, but you don't give any indication that that's what you did. If I were your instructor, I would mark your work down for this.

Not saying they are equal. The equal signs are steps => basically you have to multiple by negative one.

Anonymous_ said:
Not saying they are equal. The equal signs are steps => basically you have to multiple by negative one.
But you said they are equal:
Anonymous_ said:
I wouldn't have complained about this if you had showed what you are doing.
##\frac d {dx}(\frac 1 x) = \frac d {dx}(x^{-1}) = -x^{-2} = -\frac 1 {x^2}##

Mark44 said:
But you said they are equal:
I wouldn't have complained about this if you had written "implies" => instead of "equals" =.
Or better yet, showed what you are doing.
##\frac d {dx}(\frac 1 x) = \frac d {dx}(x^{-1}) = -x^{-2} = -\frac 1 {x^2}##
I would just assume you would know what I mean since this is a physics site...

Anonymous_ said:
I would just assume you would know what I mean since this is a physics site...
Because this is a physics site, you should write what you mean.

If I were to write something like this, would that be OK? ##2x + 1 = 5 = 2x = 4 = x = 2##
I hope not, since it is saying that 5, and 4, and 2 are all the same number, among other nonsensical statements.

Mark44 said:
Because this is a physics site, you should write what you mean.

If I were to write something like this, would that be OK? ##2x + 1 = 5 = 2x = 4 = x = 2##
I hope not, since it is saying that 5, and 4, and 2 are all the same number, among other nonsensical statements.
Yes, I can understand what’s going on. I hate when people overcomplicate things like this.

Anonymous_ said:
Yes, I can understand what’s going on. I hate when people overcomplicate things like this.

Overcomplicating? As written, your post #2 is simply wrong and suggests you don't understand what an equal sign means.

We try to help you optimally. I asked you a question in #3 which you ignored. Could you please answer so we can move on with the question?

We are just trying to tell you that using equal signs like that is wrong (although we get what you mean). Instead use ##\implies## arrows. Most people that mark exams would deduct points because this is very sloppy notation. By saying this to you, we hope that you can avoid this to happen.

Mark44 said:
Where did you find the fake # sign, "#"? The result is pretty slick and I'd like to be able to borrow the trick.

Edit: found it here. Just apply a textcolor to the ##, making it black like so: ##\sqrt{x}##

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, that means @Mark44 overrode the ## reserved symbol set somehow. Interesting...

jbriggs444 said:
Edit: found it here. Just apply a textcolor to the ##, making it black like so: ##\sqrt{x}##

jim mcnamara said:
Now that you mention it, that means @Mark44 overrode the ## reserved symbol set somehow. Interesting...
Yes, @jbriggs444 hit it, but I did it to the first # symbol at each end. Doing so prevents the browser from rendering the expression between the # pairs.

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara

1. Why does a negative solution occur in scientific experiments?

A negative solution can occur in scientific experiments due to a variety of factors. It could be the result of human error, incorrect measurements, or faulty equipment. It could also be a natural occurrence in certain chemical reactions or biological processes.

2. What does a negative solution indicate in a scientific context?

In most cases, a negative solution indicates that the experiment did not produce the expected or desired outcome. It could also mean that the hypothesis was incorrect or that there are other variables at play that need to be considered.

3. Can a negative solution be valid or useful in scientific research?

Yes, a negative solution can still be valid and useful in scientific research. It can provide valuable information about what does not work or what factors need to be further investigated. Negative results can also lead to new discoveries and hypotheses.

4. How can we avoid getting negative solutions in scientific experiments?

To avoid negative solutions, it is important to carefully plan and design experiments, use accurate and calibrated equipment, and follow proper scientific protocols. It is also crucial to consider all variables and potential sources of error.

5. Is a negative solution always a bad thing in scientific experiments?

No, a negative solution is not always a bad thing in scientific experiments. While it may not be the desired outcome, it can still provide valuable information and contribute to the overall understanding of a phenomenon. Negative results can also help researchers refine their methods and hypotheses for future experiments.