Is There An Aircraft That Has Never Crashed?

• Thread starter JaredJames
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aircraft
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an aircraft that has never crashed due to its design or pilot error. The participants consider various factors such as weather and airline safety records, but are unable to find a specific model that has never experienced a crash. They also debate the definition of a "crash" and mention a few aircraft with a perfect safety record, including the A380, 777, and A340. The conversation ends with a suggestion to research all models with zero fatal events.
Moonbear said:
:rofl: I'm pretty sure the OP means planes in the air that fall out of the air before the pilot intended to actually land them, thereby hitting the land with something other than landing gear.

Fair enough. But under this criterion, the worst disaster involving airplanes (Tenerife, 1977) was not a crash. Almost 600 people died when two 747's collided on the ground.

Physics news on Phys.org
jarednjames said:
WRT 'traffic levels', the sky is pretty crowded as it is, anyone whos stood around a major airport at a busy period sees just how close aircraft can get. However, I don't believe there could be mutch more congestion in the sky in regards to flight corridors and even with an increase, commercial aircraft have one major advantage over cars: their collision avoidance system. I've been in th cockpit of a few aircraft and the pilot has shown a screen with a number of various other aircraft cruising within a matter of miles of ourselves. If the aircraft get to close, the system gives advice and warnings in order to remove any threat posed.

Jared

Actually, the skies are not that crowded, and the only time you have to worry about other aircraft is at takeoff and departure. During cruise, you see a few aircraft pass by every once in a while. You have to understand, a controlled airport with a tower does not mean it also has a radar. Just because you are talking to the tower, does not mean they have a radar screen tracking you. Some airports just use visual tracking.

Well not everybody is convinced of that "big sky - small air plane" - theory, so TCAS was invented minimizing the chance of a mid air collision, although even that isn't monkey proof when people make mistakes.

TCAS will be replaced by http://www.eurocontrol.int/msa/public/subsite_homepage/homepage.html which should enhance safety once more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
I wonder at what point the amount of air traffic will start to reduce the safety of air travel closer to motor vehicles? I expect that the number of other vehicles on the road in close proximity to your vehicle has a lot to do with chances of collision. Of course, it's also a bit harder to get a pilot's license and people watch them a lot more carefully to make sure they aren't doing stupid things like drinking before flying and gabbing on the cell phone and putting on makeup while lighting a cigarette and eating something from some fast food joint when they're supposed to be steering.

You forgot to mention suckling babies, while driving and talking on the phone

As andre mentioned avoidance systems are going to play a major role in our future transportation methods. I think with computer control and electric power systems increasing in efficiency, as they are, we might not be too far from personal air cars.

Cyrus, I would be very interested in a link providing evidence for your 'visual tracking' method for major airports. I am a private pilot and understand how airports and radar work and no, not all airfields have radar, particularly the smaller ones, however I am yet to find amajor airport or any airport dealing in commercial aircraft that has no radar facility.
I suppose you could say I was a bit vague and didn't specify only commercial, but then again at no point did I say anything about an aircraft definitely being on radar by an airport, I simply mentioned that large aircraft at major airports have the TCAS system to help prevent collisions.
I also I didn't say the skies are crowded, I simply stated the current flight corridors are. There are a lot of aircraft using these areas. That excludes any private/light aircraft operating in the area.

Jared

russ_watters said:
Here are fatality rates per billion passenger miles:
Train: .88
Plane: .87
Car: 11.7
On the rate/billion miles the space shuttle comes out as a very safe form of transport and the safest place in the world to be is onboard MIR.
If you count plane fatalities per mile traveled on the ground (ie crashes while on the runway) then flying comes out as dangerous as F1 car racing.

Otherwise, you'd come to the nonsensical conclusion that you have no chance whatsoever of ever dying on a Southwest Airlines flight (for example).
Southwest's only fatality was a kid in a car when a plane overshot the runway - so that means you are safer on the plane than driving to the airport.

I said take off and landing, as to me that is part of the flight. However, I did not want to include the taxi/parking phases etc., as you could argue that unless it is a fault with the aircraft, then it is not something that can be blamed on the aircraf design/manufacture. I hope you understand me as I can't find the words for what I wanted right now. A tug backing into an aircraft is not an aircrash is it, that's a dozy tug driver. I was more interested in things which occurred due to pilot error, manufacturing problems - design. Two aircraft colliding on the ground is a tuff one call, but to me that's just two pilots being plonkers. I personnally would be looking for incidents occurring from the start of the take off run to the point where they are safely stopped/taxiing* on the runway after landing.

(* is that how you spell it?)

Jared

mgb_phys said:
On the rate/billion miles the space shuttle comes out as a very safe form of transport and the safest place in the world to be is onboard MIR.
MIR is a destination, not a transport. The space shuttle, no, though. A space shuttle mission goes about 5 million miles, there have been something like 150 flights, and 14 deaths. That's 10.5 per billion.
If you count plane fatalities per mile traveled on the ground (ie crashes while on the runway) then flying comes out as dangerous as F1 car racing.
I doubt that.