Is there an efficient way to find divisors of large numbers using C++?

• Thread starter smslca
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code
In summary, the code posted above should work but it is by no means optimal. It is better to replace "while(d<= n/2)" with "d <= (long int)sqrt((double)d)". Consider the case d=100.
smslca
As I saw in wolfram website and in pari , if given divisors(x) , it will give all the divisors of x in a row.
ex: divisors (34567) = { 1, 13, 2659, 34567 }
So I we know some x = 2^5 * 5^15 * 21^5 * 119 , Here we even know the prime factors
Then,
Is there any program in c language (or) any other easily understood computer programing language (so that I could convert into a c program using the same logic , since I know only c language programing) , (or) any easy algorithm to form
divisors at very fast speeds (because I require to form divisors for very large numbers) .
If anyone have the code please give me , or any step wise explained algorithm is also sufficient.

Here I can formulate an algorithm by observing the factors of the number (i.e using the arrangement of factors in ascending or descending order), but I think ,this method is too slow to form the divisors for very very large numbers having a lot and lot of divisors in it.

Technology news on Phys.org
Heres the code :D

Heres the code, enjoy :D

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <conio.h>

int main()
{
long int n, d=2;
printf("Enter the number:");
scanf("%d", &n); 
printf("\n\n The divisor(s) : { 1 ");
while(d<= n/2)
 {
  if(n%d==0) printf("%d ", d);
  d++;
 }
printf("%d } \n", n);
getch();
return(0);
}

smslca said:
As I saw in wolfram website and in pari , if given divisors(x) , it will give all the divisors of x in a row.
ex: divisors (34567) = { 1, 13, 2659, 34567 }
So I we know some x = 2^5 * 5^15 * 21^5 * 119 , Here we even know the prime factors
Then,
Is there any program in c language (or) any other easily understood computer programing language (so that I could convert into a c program using the same logic , since I know only c language programing) , (or) any easy algorithm to form
divisors at very fast speeds (because I require to form divisors for very large numbers) .
If anyone have the code please give me , or any step wise explained algorithm is also sufficient.

Here I can formulate an algorithm by observing the factors of the number (i.e using the arrangement of factors in ascending or descending order), but I think ,this method is too slow to form the divisors for very very large numbers having a lot and lot of divisors in it.

The code posted above should work but it is by no means optimal.

In fact the current thinking in finding prime factors for a large number is that there is no decent algorithm that will factorize large numbers in a decent time.

The RSA algorithm uses this property to enforce the strength of its public key cryptography system.

If you end up finding a fast method that decomposes an arbitrary large number into primes, then you will be famous and probably considered dangerous as well ;)

Its very very useful . thanks for giving the code

JackCrow's solution, in theory, could fail for numbers < 4, and will be atrociously inefficient for large numbers. It's better to replace "while(d<= n/2)" with "d <= (long int)sqrt((double)d)". Consider the case d=100. It is obvious that the two largest factors for all d is sqrt(d), thus this loop need only execute 10 times, at most. With d/2 as your exit condition, you're checking 11-50, which is completely unnecessary. We can do some math and find just how ineffiecient if is, given a general d. The sqrt d is what is necessary and all more than that in not, so we'll d/2 - sqrt(d). Think of very large numbers, such as 2^16, that would be 2^15 - 2^8 extraneous iterations.

Another way to consider would be recursion. Although sometimes a little more inefficient than iteration, recursion is almost always more fun. A way you could do this with recursion would be to find the lowest factor >1 in the argument, then call the function recursively with the previous argument divided by the factor. Like so:
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>

void factor(unsigned long long n);

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
     factor(4896542);
     return 0;
}

void factor(unsigned long long n)
{
     for(unsigned long i = 2;i <= (unsigned int)sqrt((double)n);i++)
          if(n % i == 0)
          {
               printf("%u ", i)
               factor(n / i);
               break;
          }
}
The only problem is that it doesn't print 1, if you want it to, add it in main.

TylerH said:
JackCrow's solution, in theory, could fail for numbers < 4, and will be atrociously inefficient for large numbers. It's better to replace "while(d<= n/2)" with "d <= (long int)sqrt((double)d)". Consider the case d=100. It is obvious that the two largest factors for all d is sqrt(d), thus this loop need only execute 10 times, at most. With d/2 as your exit condition, you're checking 11-50, which is completely unnecessary. We can do some math and find just how ineffiecient if is, given a general d. The sqrt d is what is necessary and all more than that in not, so we'll d/2 - sqrt(d). Think of very large numbers, such as 2^16, that would be 2^15 - 2^8 extraneous iterations.

Thanks for modifying the code.
I just wanted to know how to store the divisors.

I am working on factorization of numbers. So I got a problem where I have to form the divisors for an another number (another number = given number - some number), for which I can get the factors easily.

ex: say I got factors of an another number as 2^32 * 3^12* 5^10 * 383 * 1151
Here I knew I will get 33*13*11*2*2 = 11876 divisors

But the problem is , not the number of divisors , it is what are the divisors and how can I store them.

Sincerely , I am not expecting the above given codes. But on watching them I got some Idea about the formation of divisors.

This is where using C++ is nice, with it's vectors and such. There is no way easier than using an array, and having to dynamically resize it for each new factor.

1. What is a divisor?

A divisor is a number that can divide another number evenly without leaving a remainder. For example, 2 is a divisor of 4 because 4 divided by 2 is equal to 2 with no remainder.

2. Why do I need code for divisors?

Code for divisors can be useful for a variety of mathematical and programming tasks. It can help determine factors of a number, find the greatest common divisor between two numbers, and even identify prime numbers.

3. How can I find the divisors of a given number?

To find the divisors of a number, you can use a simple loop that checks for all numbers between 1 and the given number and prints out the numbers that divide evenly. You can also use mathematical formulas and algorithms to find divisors more efficiently.

4. What is the difference between a divisor and a factor?

A divisor is a number that divides another number evenly, while a factor is a number that is multiplied by another number to get a given product. In other words, a divisor is a factor of a number, but not all factors are divisors.

5. Can I use code for divisors in any programming language?

Yes, most programming languages have built-in functions or libraries for finding divisors. However, the specific syntax and implementation may vary, so it is important to check the documentation for your chosen programming language.