1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Is there an English translation of Jacobi's work on mechanics?

1. Aug 14, 2016 #1
    Hi folks,

I am interested in the historical original documents.

Newtonian mechanics could be learnt from--> Principia and Euler's Mechanica
    Lagrangian mechanics--> Analytical Mechanics
    Poisson--> I found his teatrise on mechanics where I expect to find out his "brackets", but I have not yet read the books.
    Hamiltonian mechanics--> I have found some papers "On a general method in dynamics"

But I have no idea about the original papers of the "Hamilton Jacobi" formulation of mechanics. Is there anywhere an english version of Jacobi's work on this topic?

Is there any book following the historical work from Jacobi?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2016 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Aug 14, 2016 #3
    Do you mean this one?

Jacobi's lectures on dynamics

Or this one?

Jacobi, Carl Gustav Jacob (1996) [1848], Vorlesungen über analytische Mechanik, Dokumente zur Geschichte der Mathematik [Documents on the History of Mathematics], 8, Freiburg: Deutsche Mathematiker Vereinigung, doi:10.1007/978-3-322-80289-7, ISBN 978-3-528-06692-5, MR 1414679

If it is the second one I don't know german.

5. Aug 14, 2016 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first should be. Jacobi, Carl Gustav Jacob (2009) [1866], Clebsch, A.; Balagangadharan, K.; Banerjee, Biswarup, eds., Jacobi's lectures on dynamics, Texts and Readings in Mathematics, 51, New Delhi: Hindustan Book Agency, ISBN 9788185931913, MR 2569315

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted