1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there any way that newton's second law can be derived from the

1. Jul 25, 2012 #1
    Is there any way that newton's second law can be derived from the first

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2
    Re: Derivation

Note that I'm asking for 2nd law from first law not first from 2nd

4. Jul 25, 2012 #3

I don't think so. The first Newtons Law just states that body will continue to move in a streight line unifiormly unless force acts on it.
    Second Law quantitatively describes how exactly the velocity changes under the influence of force.

5. Jul 25, 2012 #4

Thanks. Well what do you think is the second law really the real law

6. Jul 26, 2012 #5

Yup , we say that Newton's second law is real law of motion because Newton's first law and third law may be derived using his second law. However doing converse isn't possible.

So you cannot derive Newton's second law from the first. However doing converse is possible , i.e. first law can be derived from second law.

7. Jul 26, 2012 #6

Newton's first law states that an object will be either at rest or moving with constant velocity ( constant speed in a straight line) if there is no resultant ( unbalanced) force acting on it.
    If there is a resultant force acting then the object cannot be at rest or moving with constant velocity which means that it must be accelerating.
    So the first law tells you, qualitatively , that a resultant force causes acceleration.

8. Jul 26, 2012 #7

I understand now. Thank you all

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook