Is There really a Hubble Tension?

In summary, there has been a lot of discussion about the Hubble Tension and its potential discrepancies. However, a recent article claims that the derived value of H0 varies depending on which public SNe Ia catalogue is used, with the more recent Pantheon catalogue being consistent with the CMB determination. The systematic uncertainties in the distance ladder measurement of H0 may undermine the significance of the claimed discrepancy. It is also worth noting that the person working on correcting the discrepancies is also the writer or contributor of some of the articles discussing the Hubble Tension. Additionally, there is still ongoing research and improvement of data and precision in this area, so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
There has been a lot of Hubble Tension questions and I know its kind of boring ( maybe for some people) but this seems interesting.

I find this article

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1911.06456.pdf
It claims that

"The results are shown in Figure 1 which makes it evident that the derived value of ##H_0## varies by several ##km s^{−1}Mpc^{−1}## depending on which public SNe Ia catalogue is used. In particular the value obtained using the more recent Pantheon catalogue (Scolnic et al. 2018) is quite consistent with the CMB determination (Aghanim et al. 2018). A significant discrepancy cannot therefore be claimed "

Is this even possible ?

Space news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
Is this even possible ?

Is what possible? That two different datasets give two different values? It's not only possible, it's a near certainty.

The claims in this paper were honestly the most likely outcome of this tension all along. I don't think there's yet enough evidence to say definitively that it was a red herring, but it's looking more and more likely.

Likes Arman777
We have earlier reported that the redshifts of over 100 Type Ia supernovae (SNe Ia) which are in common between the SDSSII-SNLS3 Joint Lightcurve Analysis (JLA) catalogue (Betoule et al. 2014) and the subsequent Pantheon compilation (Scolnic et al. 2018) are discrepant

And then

Thus the systematic uncertainties that apparently still plague the distance ladder measurement of H0 undermine the significance of the discrepancy claimed by Riess et al. (2019).

Now the odd thing is that, the person who is working on correcting the discrepancies between two data sets (Scolnic), actually seems to be the writer (or contributor) of these articles.https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2016ApJ...826...56R/abstracthttps://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/1538-4357/ab1422/pdfI mean, The guy who works on the discrepencies will somehow miss the whole point for 2 articles and not making any correction ...

I don't think we should trust every written article as well. Goes for all sides. Its like every week there's least 3 articles about Hubble tension.

Likes Dragrath
One thing that you need to realize is that, especially for people writing articles for popular consumption, it's much more exciting to say, "There's a major discrepancy in our model of cosmology! We have to throw out everything we thought we knew and start over!" than it is to say, "After working for the last 10 years to measure the Hubble constant, we have reduced the error from 5% to 2%, and everything is in agreement with our standard model of cosmology."

Likes Klystron and Arman777
I just heard a talk by Adam Riess. He discussed his use of Pantheon. He still emphatically claims tension of 5 sigma between direct distance ladder Hubble (late universe) and CMB (early universe extrapolations).

Likes Arman777
Vanadium 50 said:
Is what possible? That two different datasets give two different values? It's not only possible, it's a near certainty.
I meant the Hubble Tension is being discussed in past 5 years( maybe more maybe less )and no one noticed this data difference ? Indeed in time our datas and their precision will get better.

PAllen said:
I just heard a talk by Adam Riess. He discussed his use of Pantheon. He still emphatically claims tension of 5 sigma between direct distance ladder Hubble (late universe) and CMB (early universe extrapolations).
So is he used the new data set or not ?

Last edited:
Arman777 said:
So is used the new data set or not ?
Yes.

Likes Arman777
PAllen said:
It'll definitely be interesting to see how it pans out. More time and more data, I suppose.

No matter what, something interesting is going on.

Likes Dragrath and Arman777
The following just appeared on the arXiv: Calibration of the Tip Of The Red Giant Branch (TRGB).

This is a distance ladder that is completely independent from the Cepheid ladder. The results are in between the Cepheid-ladder measurements and CMB measurements (red):

WLF.jpg

I personally don't think either technique is "better" than the other. The fact that their widths are about the same indicates that the authors don't think so either. Indeed, the only measurement claiming to do substantially better than the others is Planck. If it weren't for that, we'd have a value of 71 or 72 +/- 3 and be OK with it.

1. What is the Hubble Tension?

The Hubble Tension is a discrepancy between two different ways of measuring the expansion rate of the universe, known as the Hubble Constant. One method uses observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, while the other uses observations of the distances and velocities of nearby galaxies.

2. Why is the Hubble Tension important?

The Hubble Tension is important because it could potentially challenge our current understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. If the discrepancy between the two measurements is not resolved, it could lead to new theories and explanations for the expansion of the universe.

3. What are the possible explanations for the Hubble Tension?

There are several possible explanations for the Hubble Tension, including errors in the measurements, unknown systematic effects, or the presence of new physics that affects the expansion rate of the universe. Some theories propose the existence of a new type of dark energy or modifications to Einstein's theory of general relativity.

4. How are scientists trying to resolve the Hubble Tension?

Scientists are using a variety of methods to try and resolve the Hubble Tension, including improving the precision of measurements, using new techniques and instruments, and conducting more observations of distant galaxies. They are also working on developing new theories and models to explain the discrepancy.

5. What are the implications of resolving the Hubble Tension?

If the Hubble Tension is resolved, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It could also have implications for future cosmological studies and the development of new technologies. Additionally, resolving the tension could help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics and potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe.