Is there some other way of controlling BP other than tablets?

• Thread starter ank_gl
  • Start date
In summary, it depends upon the severity of the BP problem and if there are other factors involved. If you have a strong genetic predisposition to hypertension, you may still need to take blood pressure medications even without any other issues. However, if you are not overweight or have a low salt intake, you may not need to take any medications. Regular exercise is also good, but cannot be a substitute for medication in a situation where the BP is dangerously high.
ank_gl
i need to know if there is some other way of controlling BP other than tablets? or one has to continue with tablets forever??

Biology news on Phys.org
Depends upon how severe it is. W is on pills, but also has a strict diet (which she can't seem to stick to). Of course, smoking is a no-no. There are other lifestyle alterations that are beneficial, such as avoiding stress. You really have to ask your doctor to be sure.

ank_gl said:
i need to know if there is some other way of controlling BP other than tablets? or one has to continue with tablets forever??

aerobic excercise at least 30 minutes a day, maintaining body mass index near ideal ( don't get overweight), avoid salty foods ( although it looks like asians and african americans are more salt responsive hypertensives) . However, if there is a strong genetic component you may be doing all the above and still need blood pressure medicines ( I have a triathlete who has to take 3 pills to control his!) Both his parents had hypertension in their 20s and he is also african american. In addition, it looks like low potassium and low calcium can exacerbate hypertension so a diet rich in potassium and calcium may help.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Adrenaline. If W was told about all of that stuff, she never mentioned it to me. I'll make her read your post.

I think it goes without saying that if your blood pressure is dangerously high and your doctor prescribes medication to bring it down TAKE THE MEDICATION!

Other things like diet and moderate excersize, with your doctor's approval is also good, but is not a substitute in a dangerous situation.

My father suffered a massive stroke that left him paralyzed at age 52 then a second at age 53 that killed him.

He was thin, fit, and ate a diet for his blood pressure, my entre life I never knew him to eat salt.

Last edited:
thanks for all the replies. actually my mum takes those tablets(she asked me ask this:)). anyways she is neither overweight nor is the salt quantity in our diet high. regular exercise is ON. but yes, my grandparents did suffer from hypertension and sugar, so she is a bit scared!

1. What are some alternative methods for controlling high blood pressure?

Some alternative methods for controlling high blood pressure include lifestyle changes such as regular exercise, a healthy diet, and stress management techniques. Additionally, some people find relief through natural remedies such as herbal supplements or acupuncture.

2. Can I stop taking my blood pressure medication if I try alternative methods?

No, it is important to consult with your doctor before making any changes to your medication regimen. Alternative methods may be used in addition to medication, but should not be used as a replacement without medical guidance.

3. Are there any risks associated with alternative methods for controlling blood pressure?

Some alternative methods may have potential side effects or interactions with other medications. It is important to discuss any alternative methods with your doctor before trying them.

4. How effective are alternative methods for controlling blood pressure?

The effectiveness of alternative methods varies greatly and may depend on individual factors. Some people may find relief from alternative methods, while others may not see a significant change in their blood pressure levels.

5. Can lifestyle changes alone lower my blood pressure to a healthy level?

In some cases, lifestyle changes alone may be enough to lower blood pressure to a healthy level. However, it is important to work with your doctor to develop a comprehensive treatment plan that may include a combination of lifestyle changes and medication.