1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Is there such a one-way mirror?

1. Apr 8, 2017 #1
    Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if there is a one-way mirror that works like the one illustrated in the image below:

k37h9u.png

I know that most one way mirrors work differently, reflecting light from the brightest side and letting light through to the dark side. Is it possible for a mirror to let light through it to the dark side and acts like a mirror to the dark side?

I did my best to explain myself, but I apologize in advance if this sounds confusing.

Have a nice day!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

How do you manage the keep the inside dark if light from the outside comes in?

4. Apr 8, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Maxwell's demon for light? That would violate the second law of thermodynamics.

5. Apr 8, 2017 #4
    There are mirrors which on one side look like any mirror (to a human being),
    but if standing on the other side they are transparent (though dark).
    I have no idea how that works. but it does exist.

6. Apr 8, 2017 #5
    I'd say the answer to your question is no, since light is reversible (in the absence of scattering).

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  7. Apr 9, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

It is just a semi-transparent mirror, and one side is lit much better than the other side.

8. Apr 9, 2017 #7
    If the light is bight enough on one side and dark enough on the other you get the same effect with ordinary glass. People on the bright side have trouble seeing in and so do birds. Had two hit our living room window yesterday.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted