Is there such a one-way mirror?

• Thread starter Luis Erick Coy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a one-way mirror that works differently from traditional ones, allowing light to pass through from the bright side to the dark side while still acting as a mirror. The concept of Maxwell's demon for light is brought up, but it is determined that it would violate the second law of thermodynamics. The idea of semi-transparent mirrors is also mentioned, with the understanding that if one side is significantly brighter than the other, it can create a similar effect to a one-way mirror.
Luis Erick Coy
Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if there is a one-way mirror that works like the one illustrated in the image below:

k37h9u.png

I know that most one way mirrors work differently, reflecting light from the brightest side and letting light through to the dark side. Is it possible for a mirror to let light through it to the dark side and acts like a mirror to the dark side?

I did my best to explain myself, but I apologize in advance if this sounds confusing.

Have a nice day!

Science news on Phys.org
How do you manage the keep the inside dark if light from the outside comes in?

Likes Jamison Lahman and davenn
Maxwell's demon for light? That would violate the second law of thermodynamics.

Likes Jamison Lahman
There are mirrors which on one side look like any mirror (to a human being),
but if standing on the other side they are transparent (though dark).
I have no idea how that works. but it does exist.

I'd say the answer to your question is no, since light is reversible (in the absence of scattering).

Last edited:
rootone said:
There are mirrors which on one side look like any mirror (to a human being),
but if standing on the other side they are transparent (though dark).
I have no idea how that works. but it does exist.
It is just a semi-transparent mirror, and one side is lit much better than the other side.

If the light is bight enough on one side and dark enough on the other you get the same effect with ordinary glass. People on the bright side have trouble seeing in and so do birds. Had two hit our living room window yesterday.

1. Is a one-way mirror actually possible?

Yes, one-way mirrors are possible through the use of special materials and lighting. They are also known as two-way mirrors or half-silvered mirrors.

2. How does a one-way mirror work?

A one-way mirror works by allowing light to pass through from one side, while reflecting light from the other side. This effect is achieved by coating one side of the glass with a very thin layer of metal, such as silver or aluminum.

3. Can you see through a one-way mirror?

It depends on the lighting conditions and the angle at which you are looking at the mirror. If there is more light on the side you are looking from, you will be able to see through the mirror. If there is more light on the other side, the mirror will appear as a reflective surface.

4. Are one-way mirrors used for surveillance purposes?

Yes, one-way mirrors are commonly used for surveillance in interrogation rooms, police stations, and other security settings. They allow the person being observed to see their own reflection, while the observer on the other side can see through the mirror.

5. Are one-way mirrors used in everyday life?

One-way mirrors are also used in everyday life, such as in dressing rooms or bathrooms, to provide privacy while still allowing light to pass through. They are also used in some office settings to create a sense of openness and transparency while maintaining privacy.