Is the Definite Integral of e^(i(u*cos(x)+v*sin(x)) Known?

• Thread starter mnb96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation was about a definite integral that the speaker was unable to solve and was wondering if it was a known formula. The other person responded with a link to Wolfram Alpha showing that the definite integral is given by a 0-order modified Bessel function. The speaker was impressed by the accuracy of the website's answer and wondered about the difficulty of proving it.
mnb96
Hello,
while attempting to solve a problem, I came up with the following integral:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}e^{i\left( u\cos(x)+v\sin(x) \right)}dx[/tex]

where u,v are two real constants.
I don't know how to solve this definite integral and I am wondering if this formula is already known, and if it pops up in other contexts.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot!
It seems the definite integral of that expression is given by a 0-order 'modified Bessel function'. Interesting.

I trust the answer from that site but I am wondering now if it would be difficult to prove that result.

1. What is a known function?

A known function is a mathematical relationship between two or more variables that has already been identified and studied by mathematicians. It can be represented by an equation and used to describe real-world phenomena.

2. How can I determine if a function is known?

To determine if a function is known, you can search for it in mathematical databases or reference books. You can also consult with other mathematicians or use online resources such as math forums or search engines.

3. Are all functions known?

No, not all functions are known. There are an infinite number of possible functions, and new ones are being discovered and studied all the time. However, many commonly used and important functions have already been identified and studied.

4. Why is it important to know if a function is known?

Knowing if a function is known can help save time and effort in mathematical research. It can also provide a starting point for further exploration and analysis of the function.

5. Can a known function change?

Yes, a known function can change if new information or data is discovered that challenges the existing understanding of the function. In these cases, the function may be modified or even completely replaced by a new function.