Negation of Implication: Tautology or Contradiction?

• Thread starter anonymity
  • Start date
In summary, an implication is a tautology if its negation always results in a contradiction. This means that the implication is always true, regardless of the truth values of its components. This can be seen in the example given, where the negation of the statement resulted in a contradiction and therefore the original implication was a tautology. The conversation also discusses how this applies to a specific problem and clarifies the understanding of tautologies in mathematics.
anonymity
If the negation of an implication is a contradiction, the implication is a tautology.

Is this correct? Because if the negation is never true, then it must be a tautology...No?

For example, I am working on a problem that, after a whole bunch of other stuff, the negation of my statement is P [itex]\wedge[/itex] [itex]\neg[/itex]P [itex]\wedge\neg[/itex]Q..which is NEVER true. And because this was the negation of an implication (IE, the only time the implication is ever false), the implication is always true...

Physics news on Phys.org
That is correct.

In this case, I suspect that the original implication is [itex]P\rightarrow P\vee Q[/itex]? This is indeed a tautology!

No it was a real mess of statements. What I posted was actually just part of the final product (but that contradiction held all of the power, so to speak). I do remember something along the lines of that in it though.

Thanks for confirming =]

I've never quite understood what it means to be a tautology, and I suppose there cannot be an actual definition of it- any mathematical proof just uses a string of implications to provide a new implication. But I certainly wouldn't say that a,b,c,n integers, n greater than 2 means that a^n+b^n cannot be equal to c^n !.

Your reasoning is correct. If the negation of an implication is always false, then the implication itself must be always true. This means that the implication is a tautology, which is a statement that is always true regardless of the truth values of its components. In other words, the implication is a logical truth and cannot be contradicted.

1. What is a tautology?

A tautology is a statement that is always true, regardless of the truth values of its component parts. In other words, it is a statement that repeats itself or is redundant.

2. How can you identify a tautology?

One way to identify a tautology is by using truth tables. If all the rows in a truth table for a statement have a value of true, then it is considered a tautology.

3. Why are tautologies important in logic?

Tautologies are important in logic because they can help identify logical fallacies and errors in reasoning. They also play a role in simplifying and evaluating complex logical statements.

4. Can a tautology ever be false?

No, by definition, a tautology is always true. It is a statement that is logically equivalent to itself, so it cannot be false.

5. What is the difference between a tautology and a contradiction?

A tautology is a statement that is always true, while a contradiction is a statement that is always false. In other words, a tautology is a statement that is true in all cases, while a contradiction is a statement that is false in all cases.