Is this a valid Kinematics Equation?

• Thread starter yosimba2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation is discussing the validity of the equation a = dv/dt = (d/dt)(dx/dt) = dx/dt. The speaker points out that the step dv = dx/dt is incorrect, as integrating both sides gives v = dx/dt, which is the definition of v. The equation is then further examined to determine its correctness, with one speaker noting that if the velocity change is 0, then the change in position should not be 0, as the object is still moving.
yosimba2000
a = dv/dt
a = (d/dt)(dx/dt)
dv/dt = (d/dt)(dx/dt)
dv = dx/dt
dx = dvdt
Xf - Xi = (tf-t0)*dv

Is this a valid equation? It doesn't seem right to me since if velocity change is 0, then dv = 0, meaning your change in position is 0. That shouldn't be right, as even though your velocity change is 0, you still have velocity meaning you are moving. But the math seems like it works out.

Physics news on Phys.org
yosimba2000 said:
dv/dt = (d/dt)(dx/dt)
dv = dx/dt
This step is wrong. Integrating both sides gives ##v = dx/dt## which is the definition of ##v##.

Oh, right! I should have read dv/dt as (d/dt)(v).

1. What is a valid Kinematics Equation?

A valid Kinematics Equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the motion of an object and its position, velocity, and acceleration. It is derived from the principles of kinematics, which is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause it.

2. How do I know if a Kinematics Equation is valid?

A Kinematics Equation is considered valid if it is based on the fundamental principles of kinematics, such as the equations of motion, and if it accurately represents the motion of the object being studied. It should also be consistent with other known laws of physics.

3. Can a Kinematics Equation be valid for all types of motion?

Yes, a valid Kinematics Equation can describe the motion of any object, whether it is moving in a straight line, a curved path, or changing direction. However, different equations may be needed for different types of motion.

4. What are some common types of Kinematics Equations?

Some commonly used Kinematics Equations include the equations of motion, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration, as well as equations for calculating the time, position, and velocity of objects in free fall, circular motion, and projectile motion.

5. How can I use a Kinematics Equation to solve a problem?

To use a Kinematics Equation to solve a problem, you first need to identify the known and unknown variables, and then choose the appropriate equation that relates these variables. Next, substitute the known values into the equation and solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct formula for the specific type of motion being studied.