Why Does This Syllogism Lead to a False Conclusion?

• Thread starter understand.
  • Start date
In summary, the problem lies in the fact that the O-claim's predicate does not distribute the middle term, as your example shows. This goes against what your textbook says and could indicate a mistake in the textbook's information. In addition, the basic rule of syllogistic logic is that from two particular premises, nothing can be concluded, which applies to this situation. This means that we cannot determine the relationship between A and B based on the given premises.
understand.
Is this a valid syllogism?

O: Some A's are not B's.
O: Some C's are not B's.
I: Therefore: Some A's are C's.

For some reason this doesn't look correct. When I tried to put an example of this syllogism, I got a conclusion that was false, from two premises which are true. Here is that example:

Some reptiles are not lizzards.
Some warm-blooded-animals are not lizzards.
Therefore: Some reptiles are warm-blooded-animals?

Why doesn't this work? Because it seems to me that if the O-claim has a distributive predicate then the above example should work. Or perhaps one of my premises are wrong. Does anyone see what the problem is?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your problem. Your example shows that the syllogism is invalid. What more can be said?

mathman said:
I don't understand your problem. Your example shows that the syllogism is invalid. What more can be said?

understand. said:
Why doesn't this work? Because it seems to me that if the O-claim has a distributive predicate then the above example should work. Or perhaps one of my premises are wrong. Does anyone see what the problem is?

Perhaps I was subtle in my actual question (bad title name). I wanted to see if the O-claim really is distributed, as my textbook says it is. I don't believe it is. So, I set up a syllogism to test it. The syllogism is made to have the O-claim's predicate distribute the middle term. So, if the O-claim's predicate is distributed, then the middle term is distributed and my syllogism should be valid. But it clearly isn't valid. So, I am forced to conclude that the O-claim's predicate is not distributive.

But that goes against what my textbook says. Either my textbook is wrong or something else is wrong with my syllogism (other than an undistributed middle). Which is it?

I'll have to leave your question to someone else. I have no formal background in this subject (as a mathematician, we didn't get much into this area). Specifically I have no idea what the following sentence means.
The syllogism is made to have the O-claim's predicate distribute the middle term.

mathman said:
I'll have to leave your question to someone else. I have no formal background in this subject (as a mathematician, we didn't get much into this area).

I see. Any other takers?

One of the basic rules of syllogistic logic is that from two particular premises nothing can be concluded.

Your logical statements can be replaced by set statements: A is not a subset of B, C is not a subset of B. The conclusion you give would be "A and B have non-empty intersection" which is certainly not true. We can say nothing about the relationship between A and B.

Related to Why Does This Syllogism Lead to a False Conclusion?

What is a syllogism and why is it important in science?

A syllogism is a type of logical argument that involves two premises and a conclusion. It is important in science because it helps to establish a logical connection between ideas and evidence, allowing scientists to draw conclusions and make predictions based on sound reasoning.

What makes a syllogism valid?

A syllogism is considered valid if it follows the rules of deductive reasoning, meaning that the conclusion necessarily follows from the premises. In other words, if the premises are true, the conclusion must also be true.

How can I determine if a syllogism is valid or not?

To determine the validity of a syllogism, you can use the rules of deductive reasoning to evaluate the structure of the argument. This includes making sure that the premises are true, the terms are clear and consistent, and the conclusion logically follows from the premises.

Can a syllogism be valid but still have a false conclusion?

Yes, a syllogism can be valid even if the conclusion is false. This is because the validity of a syllogism is based on the structure of the argument, not the truthfulness of the conclusion. In other words, a valid syllogism can have a false conclusion if the premises are also false.

What are some common mistakes that can make a syllogism invalid?

Some common mistakes that can make a syllogism invalid include using vague or ambiguous terms, making unsupported assumptions, and having a flawed logical structure. It is important to carefully evaluate all elements of a syllogism to ensure its validity.