Is this equation linear or nonlinear?

In summary, the first equation is nonlinear because the square of the first derivative is not equal to the second derivative. The second equation is linear because the dependence of y on t is not affected by the derivative of x. The third equation is nonlinear because it contains an integral.
~electric~
is this equation linear or nonlinear??

Hello,
I am a little bit confused.. Is the following equations linear or non linear:
(dy/dt)^2+2y(t) = x(t).
(here i don't know if (d^2y/dt^2) = (dy/dt)^2 ,if this is true then i know it's linear)
dy/dt +(sin(t))y(t) = dx/dt +2x(t)
(does having derivative of x in the R.H.S make this equation non linear)
y(t) = Sx(T)dT
('S' means integrated from -infinity to 't', 'T' means (tao)) i am thinking this is linear...

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
(here i don't know if (d^2y/dt^2) = (dy/dt)^2 ,if this is true then i know it's linear).
No they are not the same square of the first derivative not equal to the second derivative so its non linear..
dy/dt +(sin(t))y(t) = dx/dt +2x(t)
(does having derivative of x in the R.H.S make this equation non linear)
linear. y is a function of t not x Similarly x is a function of t

last one linear

Based on the equations you have provided, it seems like the first equation is nonlinear because it contains a squared term (dy/dt)^2. The second equation is also nonlinear because it contains a sine function, and the third equation is linear because it only contains a simple integral. However, it is important to note that the linearity or nonlinearity of an equation depends on the specific definition and context being used. In general, an equation is considered linear if it can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m and b are constants. I hope this helps clarify things for you.

1. Is there a general rule for determining if an equation is linear or nonlinear?

Yes, the general rule is that if an equation can be written in the form y=mx+b, where m and b are constants, then the equation is linear. If the equation cannot be written in this form, then it is nonlinear.

2. How can I tell if an equation is linear or nonlinear graphically?

Linear equations will produce a straight line when graphed, while nonlinear equations will produce a curve or some other non-straight shape.

3. Are all polynomial equations nonlinear?

No, not all polynomial equations are nonlinear. Some polynomial equations have a degree of 1, making them linear.

4. Can an equation be both linear and nonlinear?

No, an equation cannot be both linear and nonlinear. It is either one or the other.

5. What are some real-life applications of linear and nonlinear equations?

Linear equations are commonly used in physics, economics, and engineering to model relationships between variables. Nonlinear equations are often used in biology, chemistry, and ecology to model complex systems and phenomena.