Is this equation possible to solve exactly?

• Thread starter Hertz
  • Start date
In summary: The first solution is the most accurate, but it requires the use of Maple. The second solution is simpler and can be solved in standard calculator.
Hertz
[itex]ln(x) = x - 2[/itex]

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I plugged it into wolfram alpha and it gave me two solutions in the form of values in the product log function: a function I had never heard of but seems to not be solvable exactly.

What do you mean by "solve exactly"? It has two well-defined solutions, and you could calculate their values to as many decimal places as you want, but they are irrational numbers, so you could never write them down exactly, just like you could never write down pi or sqrt(2) exactly. Is it possible to solve x^2 = 2 exactly?

phyzguy said:
What do you mean by "solve exactly"? It has two well-defined solutions, and you could calculate their values to as many decimal places as you want, but they are irrational numbers, so you could never write them down exactly, just like you could never write down pi or sqrt(2) exactly. Is it possible to solve x^2 = 2 exactly?

You can write down pi and sqrt(2) exactly with no problems whatsoever. Here, I'll show you:

pi
sqrt(2)

However, if you attempted to solve an equation who's answer was pi, but you had no way to analytically prove that it was pi, you would be unable to give an exact answer to the problem.

I want to know if there is an analytic method to solve an equation like this, just like there are analytic methods to exactly solve many other equations with irrational answers.

Back to the original question, do you have any ideas?

If you think the answer to this problem truly is irrational and simply cannot be evaluated exactly (with the use of e, pi, sqrts, and other such symbols/constants), then please let me know the reasoning behind your hypothesis.

e-
Let me reword my question.
Is it possible to analytically solve for x in the equation above? If so, how could it be done?

Hertz said:
You can write down pi and sqrt(2) exactly with no problems whatsoever. Here, I'll show you:

pi
sqrt(2)

I can also write down the solution to your equation. Here, I'll show you:

-ProductLog(-1/e^2)

Does that answer your question?

phyzguy said:
I can also write down the solution to your equation. Here, I'll show you:

-ProductLog(-1/e^2)

Does that answer your question?

Oh thank you so much :) I'm happy I finally know how to analytically solve an equation like this when I come across one. The method you taught me is so simple.

You could use Newton's method to find an approximation.

TheEtherWind said:
You could use Newton's method to find an approximation.

You know that's the first time I've ever seen a good legitimate use for Newton's method. I guess there was a reason I learned it after all.

Hertz said:
[itex]ln(x) = x - 2[/itex]

Any ideas?

You can solve it in terms of the Lambert W function. Here is what Maple gives:

Solution 1:
x = exp(-LambertW(-exp(-2))-2)

Solution 2:
x = exp(-LambertW(-1,-exp(-2))-2).

RGV

The "Lambert W function" is another name for the "product log" that phyzguy mentioned.

1. Can all equations be solved exactly?

No, not all equations can be solved exactly. Some equations may have infinitely many solutions, while others may have no solutions at all. Additionally, some equations may require advanced mathematical techniques that have not yet been discovered.

2. How do I know if an equation can be solved exactly?

Unfortunately, there is no foolproof way to determine if an equation can be solved exactly. However, there are some characteristics that may indicate the possibility of an exact solution, such as the presence of rational coefficients and simple mathematical operations.

3. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving equations exactly?

Yes, there are some techniques that can help make solving equations easier, such as factoring, substitution, and using the quadratic formula. However, these methods may not always lead to an exact solution, and some equations may require more advanced techniques.

4. Is it important to solve equations exactly?

It depends on the context and purpose of the equation. In some cases, an approximate solution may be sufficient, while in others, an exact solution may be necessary for accurate calculations or predictions. It is always important to consider the level of precision required for the specific problem at hand.

5. What should I do if I cannot solve an equation exactly?

If you are unable to solve an equation exactly, you can still try to approximate a solution using numerical methods or software tools. You can also seek help from a math expert or tutor who may be able to guide you towards a solution or provide alternative approaches to the problem.