Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is This Possible?

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    Could an alien underwater life evolve into a complex life? could there be an underwater alien civilization?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2005 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't think of anything specifically forbidding it, but that's more of a biology question.

4. Mar 14, 2005 #3
    Without fire, that would surely slow them down

5. Mar 15, 2005 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

They would probably not sing much. After watching American Idol, I doubt they would qualify as a life form... at least not one of interest.

6. Mar 15, 2005 #5
    An alien underwater life is likely to crawl to solid ground and become us.

7. Mar 15, 2005 #6
    Yeah, without fire it seems unlikely a civilization could arise. Intelligence could exist, but probably not a civilization. Unless you can think of a way to build a rocket from scratch underwater.

8. Mar 15, 2005 #7
    Interesting question. Reminds me of the move abyss

9. Mar 15, 2005 #8

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A civilization as we know it certainly wouldn't exist, but it's not obvious to me that they couldn't just follow a different path. Intelligent creatures are extremely versatile, as humans have so elegantly (or not so elegantly) shown.

10. Mar 15, 2005 #9
    I 100% agree

11. Mar 17, 2005 #10

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

On the other hand, there is nothing to say we could not someday return to the sea, as did the whales.

12. Mar 17, 2005 #11
    They do know more about the rest of the universe than what they know in our own waters. Fact.

You have a far fetched sounding theorey, but a smart one. An alien is an alien, and its technologies are alien to ours. I don't know about the rest of you, but i'm quite ready to accept that our world isn't that significant (technologically - It's just not possible with all the other galaxies out there, that we are the only life forms with the only technology) And if aliens do exist, according to those *not fake* videos, their technology is so far beyond ours, we don't even have an idea on how their technology works in the slightest.

13. Mar 17, 2005 #12
    Well they could use underwater volcanic vents. Would be pretty tricky however.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  14. Mar 17, 2005 #13
    the answer really depends on how broadly you are willing to define civilization. if you simply mean a group of organism which have a unique culture, as is standardly accepted, then yes. if, however, you are referring to a civilization that has reached a technological level such as ours, then the answer is somewhat more unclear. it would be difficult to build cohesive structures and vehicles without fire, as you pointed out. their developmentary (is that a word?) scale would certainly be very different from our own, as they would need to develop some manner to get around it. given that they could overcome this problem, however, I see no reason why not. the conquest of land might end up being just as big an enterprise for them as the exploration of space is for us. it could take thousands of years exploring the land before they would even realize that there are other celestial bodies. it would certainly be interesting to see what kind of religion (if any) might develop among such creatures, living in such a different environment from our own, although i suppose that would be true of any extraterrestrial species.

also remember that many other liquid "seas" could exist (seas of mercury?)

15. Mar 19, 2005 #14
    I think this is rather pathetic that we know more about the universe we inhabit than we do our own oceans.

This is true. I definitely think it is something to think about. I'm suddenly reminded of a joke my chemistry teacher told us...its rather gross though. If any of you want to know about it PM me.

Its is possible that there could be alien form of life below our oceans. As far as the fire comment, they may not even necessarliy need it. Especially if they are fully adapted to living in the ocean. There are other forms of heat under the ocean. Like those, I think they might be underwater volcanos, that heat the ocean water to aver 357 degrees C! The water doesn't boil because of the depth pressure. There are biological organisms that we have discovered in the past ten years or so that we never even know about. Wild stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?