Could an Alien Underwater Life Evolve?

• Thread starter Gold Barz
  • Start date
In summary, the possibility of an alien underwater life evolving into a complex civilization is not entirely impossible, but it would likely be very different from our own civilization. Fire would be a major obstacle for technological advancement, but alternative heat sources such as volcanic vents could potentially be utilized. It is also worth considering that there may be other liquid "seas" in the universe where different forms of life could thrive. Overall, the idea of underwater alien civilizations remains a fascinating and unexplored topic.
Gold Barz
Could an alien underwater life evolve into a complex life? could there be an underwater alien civilization?

Biology news on Phys.org
Gold Barz said:
Could an alien underwater life evolve into a complex life? could there be an underwater alien civilization?

I can't think of anything specifically forbidding it, but that's more of a biology question.

Without fire, that would surely slow them down

They would probably not sing much. After watching American Idol, I doubt they would qualify as a life form... at least not one of interest.

An alien underwater life is likely to crawl to solid ground and become us.

Yeah, without fire it seems unlikely a civilization could arise. Intelligence could exist, but probably not a civilization. Unless you can think of a way to build a rocket from scratch underwater.

Interesting question. Reminds me of the move abyss

Entropy said:
Yeah, without fire it seems unlikely a civilization could arise. Intelligence could exist, but probably not a civilization. Unless you can think of a way to build a rocket from scratch underwater.

A civilization as we know it certainly wouldn't exist, but it's not obvious to me that they couldn't just follow a different path. Intelligent creatures are extremely versatile, as humans have so elegantly (or not so elegantly) shown.

I 100% agree

On the other hand, there is nothing to say we could not someday return to the sea, as did the whales.

They do know more about the rest of the universe than what they know in our own waters. Fact.

You have a far fetched sounding theorey, but a smart one. An alien is an alien, and its technologies are alien to ours. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm quite ready to accept that our world isn't that significant (technologically - It's just not possible with all the other galaxies out there, that we are the only life forms with the only technology) And if aliens do exist, according to those *not fake* videos, their technology is so far beyond ours, we don't even have an idea on how their technology works in the slightest.

Gold Barz said:
Without fire, that would surely slow them down

Well they could use underwater volcanic vents. Would be pretty tricky however.

Last edited:
the answer really depends on how broadly you are willing to define civilization. if you simply mean a group of organism which have a unique culture, as is standardly accepted, then yes. if, however, you are referring to a civilization that has reached a technological level such as ours, then the answer is somewhat more unclear. it would be difficult to build cohesive structures and vehicles without fire, as you pointed out. their developmentary (is that a word?) scale would certainly be very different from our own, as they would need to develop some manner to get around it. given that they could overcome this problem, however, I see no reason why not. the conquest of land might end up being just as big an enterprise for them as the exploration of space is for us. it could take thousands of years exploring the land before they would even realize that there are other celestial bodies. it would certainly be interesting to see what kind of religion (if any) might develop among such creatures, living in such a different environment from our own, although i suppose that would be true of any extraterrestrial species.

also remember that many other liquid "seas" could exist (seas of mercury?)

Paul Wilson said:
They do know more about the rest of the universe than what they know in our own waters. Fact.

I think this is rather pathetic that we know more about the universe we inhabit than we do our own oceans.

Paul Wilson said:
You have a far fetched sounding theorey, but a smart one. An alien is an alien, and its technologies are alien to ours. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm quite ready to accept that our world isn't that significant (technologically - It's just not possible with all the other galaxies out there, that we are the only life forms with the only technology) And if aliens do exist, according to those *not fake* videos, their technology is so far beyond ours, we don't even have an idea on how their technology works in the slightest.

This is true. I definitely think it is something to think about. I'm suddenly reminded of a joke my chemistry teacher told us...its rather gross though. If any of you want to know about it PM me.

Its is possible that there could be alien form of life below our oceans. As far as the fire comment, they may not even necessarliy need it. Especially if they are fully adapted to living in the ocean. There are other forms of heat under the ocean. Like those, I think they might be underwater volcanos, that heat the ocean water to aver 357 degrees C! The water doesn't boil because of the depth pressure. There are biological organisms that we have discovered in the past ten years or so that we never even know about. Wild stuff.

1. Can life exist in underwater environments on other planets?

It is certainly possible for life to exist in underwater environments on other planets. The conditions for life to evolve are not limited to Earth and there are many places in our solar system, such as Europa and Enceladus, that have liquid oceans beneath their icy surfaces that could potentially harbor life.

2. How would an alien underwater organism survive and adapt to its environment?

An alien underwater organism would survive and adapt to its environment through a process known as evolution. This process involves the gradual changes in an organism's characteristics over time in response to its environment. Organisms that are best suited to their environment are more likely to survive and reproduce, passing on their advantageous traits to their offspring.

3. Would an alien underwater organism have similar characteristics to Earth-based aquatic life?

It is impossible to say for sure whether an alien underwater organism would have similar characteristics to Earth-based aquatic life. However, it is likely that they would share some common features, such as the need for water and a way to obtain energy. However, the specifics of their appearance and biology would depend on the unique conditions of their environment.

4. How would an alien underwater organism communicate with other organisms?

An alien underwater organism would likely communicate with other organisms through a variety of methods. This could include chemical signals, bioluminescence, or even sound waves. It is also possible that they would have evolved different sensory abilities to detect and interpret these forms of communication.

5. Could an alien underwater organism be intelligent?

It is possible for an alien underwater organism to be intelligent. Intelligence is not limited to humans on Earth, and there are many different ways that intelligence can manifest in different species. However, it is impossible to say for certain whether or not an alien underwater organism would possess intelligence without further research and discovery.