Is this professor cool or what?

In summary: This would be very unusual at a state school like mine, if not unheard of, but in the 60's at a good private school, not only would this have been tolerated, but the student would have probably been disciplined further, and maybe kicked completely out of the course if he had said a word.In summary, the student was incredibly rude and did not even realize it, but the professor did not take it personal and just laughed.
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd go for the "or what" option. That's not at all cool-- he should have just kicked the guy out of his class. (Of course, it doesn't seem real, since the guy didn't respond to the "professor" whatsoever!)

Man, we saw this months ago. (picks up and smashes Kant's computer).

sorry but what he did was incredibly immature. He should have just sent the kid away for the remainder of the period.

I will admit though, it was very funny.

The kid deserved a smack in the head along with his phone smashed.

This would be very unusual at a state school like mine, if not unheard of, but in the 60's at a good private school, not only would this have been tolerated, but the student would have probably been disciplined further, and maybe kicked completely out of the course if he had said a word.

There used to be an understanding that students owed respect to the class and the professor. No one could even arrive late or leave early, or read or do anything unattentive in class. This is so different now that we have trouble believing this scene. It would still probably be tolerated at a top school where students are lucky to be there.

As an old man, with less fragile ego, now I would just laugh. This stuff happens all the time. After all my wife sometimes calls my cellphone too in class when I have forgotten to turn it off. I take the attitude that we are all in the same boat, and I am not royalty.

I try to teach my students and hold them accountable for their infractions, but without being angry at them. but not all profs feel that way and it does take a lot of patience that I do not always have.

The student was incredibly rude, but he did not even realize it, and to be a good teacher you have to understand how to help people by sympathizing with their ignorance, not punishing it. We are all ignorant about something.

I have been in conversation with friends recently who seemed to think it normal to just stop talking to me and answer their cellphone, even doctors who were seeing me in their office, and the call was about a golf game.

People no longer realize how rude this is. Its better if we don't take it personally. Everyone has been in the position of doing something rude, and we all appreciate it when we are taught better in a way that does not embarrass us. I can still remember insightful and considerate teachers who could correct me with just a look and a smile.

On the other hand, remember the prof looked at the phone first. We don't know what he saw!

mathwonk said:
On the other hand, remember the prof looked at the phone first. We don't know what he saw!

He was probably checking the model to see whether it was worth the potential replacement cost.

Obviously he felt it was worth the risk

mathwonk said:
This would be very unusual at a state school like mine, if not unheard of, but in the 60's at a good private school, not only would this have been tolerated, but the student would have probably been disciplined further, and maybe kicked completely out of the course if he had said a word.

I don't know... if that had happened in the 60's the professor would have grabbed the cell phone and yelled "what is this demonry?!" and then made off with it and sold the technology to the military. Of course there were no cell towers around in the 60s so the time traveling student wouldn't be on the phone in the first place.

http://social.moldova.org/stiri/eng/39655/"

Last edited by a moderator:
check said:
I don't know... if that had happened in the 60's the professor would have grabbed the cell phone and yelled "what is this demonry?!" and then made off with it and sold the technology to the military. Of course there were no cell towers around in the 60s so the time traveling student wouldn't be on the phone in the first place.

:rofl: haha

mathwonk said:
As an old man, with less fragile ego, now I would just laugh. This stuff happens all the time. After all my wife sometimes calls my cellphone too in class when I have forgotten to turn it off. I take the attitude that we are all in the same boat, and I am not royalty.

Actually, with my one student, we were all intently listening in every time he got a cell phone call during a few week period...his wife was pregnant and due any day, so he kept his cell phone on all the time and we were all hoping it would be THAT call. :biggrin: (And, I had every intention of letting him leave class early if his wife went into labor during it...the baby was kind enough to wait until spring break to be born...actually, his wife called very shortly after he left the last class before spring break.) On the other hand, we were all very disappointed the day he got a call in the middle of class from his wife just to tell him his car was ready to be picked up from an oil change. :rofl:

i love it!

mathwonk said:
People no longer realize how rude this is. Its better if we don't take it personally. Everyone has been in the position of doing something rude, and we all appreciate it when we are taught better in a way that does not embarrass us. I can still remember insightful and considerate teachers who could correct me with just a look and a smile.

Rationally speaking, I agree with you.

Emotionally speaking, this guy is awesome, and I would have applauded if I were there. Sorry, but some emotions are too strong for me to control (I have a violent hatred of cell phones).

I use a cell phone only when I am somewhere locally where I cannot use a hardwired phone, or when traveling, and most of the time it is off. I don't understand why people need to be constantly communicating with others, especially when it is some inane or trivial conversation. I dare say that most people are so important that they need a phone by their side constantly, unless it is an emergency responder.

Business matters can wait until someone is sitting down in an office or some other place - certainly not while one is operating a motor vehicle. I see too many people staring into space while driving and talking on a phone, and I have seen some erratic driving as a result.

I was flying back from the west coast one afternoon, and I was waiting with 100+ other people to board the flight. Some guy was conversing on his cell phone - yelling at times - and the rest of us were somewhat concerned about this guy losing it. :rolleyes: I think it was a conversation with his lawyer about a divorce or something. But pacing back and forth, waving hands and yelling before getting on a flight was a bit worrisome.

Anyway, as for the professor, I can understand his anger, but the appropriate measure would have been to confiscate the phone, tell the other party that the student was in class, terminate the phone call and tell the student to visit his office after class or when the prof had free time. Clearly the student is out of place and the cell phone should have been off.

Moonbear has a point - these days there may be circumstances when one needs to be in contact by cell phone. On the other hand, when my wife was due while I was teaching at university, I let the department and my fellow colleagues know, and they knew to come get me if I my wife called while I was in class. It so happened that's what happened - and I dismissed class and headed home as quickly as possible.

Astronuc said:
I dare say that most people are so important that they need a phone by their side constantly, unless it is an emergency responder.

I think you left out the rather improtant word "not". :rolleyes:

I refuse to purchase a cell phone. But then again, I also refuse to buy a car... so I'm just a weirdo.

Xezlec said:
I refuse to purchase a cell phone
Are you serious? Why?

In an academic surrounding, one shouldn't let his anger out in a physical way. He could have simply asked the student to come to the blackboard and made an idiot out of him, i.e. lecture him in front of the whole class about culture and politeness in an ironic way. Everyone would have learned something, even that idiot student with his cell phone. Now, he's just angry because his cell phone is broke. He hates the professor, and he hates the course. No sense at all.

I don't own a cellphone either. I don't have hatred towards them. That's just an odd thing to have.

I'm just too cheap to get one.

JasonRox said:
I don't own a cellphone either. I don't have hatred towards them. That's just an odd thing to have.

Interesting. Here in my country, I literarily don't know a person who doesn't own a cell phone. They're simply a practical thing to have.

But, I must admit that I despise the cell phone industry and all of it's marketing "tricks" that people go for.

radou said:
Interesting. Here in my country, I literarily don't know a person who doesn't own a cell phone. They're simply a practical thing to have.

But, I must admit that I despise the cell phone industry and all of it's marketing "tricks" that people go for.

It's the same thing here. My girlfriend and I are the only two I know of without a cellphone. Even 14 year olds have them.

moose said:
Are you serious? Why?

Because they serve no practical purpose that I can see, and have obvious drawbacks. I mean that might not be true for everyone, but it is for me.

Drawbacks:

- I hate being interrupted and having to wait silently while my friends spend 1-2 hours talking to someone on the phone, after I made the time to go and hang out with them. I don't want to be randomly interrupted while I'm out doing something with someone.

- Every time I see bad driving, or almost get killed, the driver is talking on their cell phone and not paying attention. I don't want to do two things at once, like talking on the phone while walking, working, or anything else.

- I dislike phone conversations in general, really. Why encourage that mode of conversation over others I prefer, such as email?

Practical purpose:

- Let me get this straight: I'm supposed to carry around a phone in case of an "emergency" (like what, exactly? How often does this happen? An emergency communication device for that price?)

- Am I really supposed to be available for conversation by anyone all the time? There's no reason that I know of that that would be necessary.

- When am I away from any phones? Well, let's see. When I'm in transit, and that's about it. Why do I need so desperately to contact people in that little time window? There is a phone at my home and at work. Those are the appropriate places for phone calls.

Xezlec said:
Because they serve no practical purpose that I can see, and have obvious drawbacks. I mean that might not be true for everyone, but it is for me.

Drawbacks:

- I hate being interrupted and having to wait silently while my friends spend 1-2 hours talking to someone on the phone, after I made the time to go and hang out with them. I don't want to be randomly interrupted while I'm out doing something with someone.

- Every time I see bad driving, or almost get killed, the driver is talking on their cell phone and not paying attention. I don't want to do two things at once, like talking on the phone while walking, working, or anything else.

- I dislike phone conversations in general, really. Why encourage that mode of conversation over others I prefer, such as email?

Practical purpose:

- Let me get this straight: I'm supposed to carry around a phone in case of an "emergency" (like what, exactly? How often does this happen? An emergency communication device for that price?)

- Am I really supposed to be available for conversation by anyone all the time? There's no reason that I know of that that would be necessary.

- When am I away from any phones? Well, let's see. When I'm in transit, and that's about it. Why do I need so desperately to contact people in that little time window? There is a phone at my home and at work. Those are the appropriate places for phone calls.

No offense, but you have terrible arguments.

Who said you need to be on it for 1-2 hours? Why don't you just turn the damn thing off if you don't want to be interrupted when going out with friends. Problem solved.

Don't talk on the cellphone and drive. Either turn the phone off before you start driving, or simply don't answer the phone while driving. Problem solved. No one said you need to drive and talk on the phone just because you have cellphone. Get real.

Conversations aren't the only use of a cellphone. You have text messages or flat out don't start conversations. If I had a cellphone, I'd only use to see what's going on and where people are at. No conversations needed. Problem solved.

No one mentions "emergency" as the main reason for getting a cellphone. That's like so 10 years ago. We now get cellphones because we want them, adn the "emergency" part is just an add on. So, you're not paying for an emergency device. I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

If you're not available for a conversation or any interruption, don't pick up the phone or turn the damn thing off the moment you become unavailable. Problem solved. These things don't imply that you're available to talk 24/7. I have no idea how you came to that conclusion either.

Find better arguments.

JasonRox said:

Same here. Although I do carry my old cell phone around with me as a watch.

JasonRox said:
Who said you need to be on it for 1-2 hours? Why don't you just turn the damn thing off if you don't want to be interrupted when going out with friends. Problem solved.

Don't talk on the cellphone and drive. Either turn the phone off before you start driving, or simply don't answer the phone while driving. Problem solved. No one said you need to drive and talk on the phone just because you have cellphone. Get real.

Exactly. I'd turn it off in both situations (though I don't drive). I'd have it turned off 24/7. Why buy it?

And yes, having a cell phone does force you to talk on it while driving. Apparently. I can't prove it rationally, but anecdotal evidence appears to suggest that humans are incapable of owning a cell phone but turning it off when they drive. I've never seen someone do that, even the people who claim they should.

Do you do that?

Conversations aren't the only use of a cellphone. You have text messages or flat out don't start conversations. If I had a cellphone, I'd only use to see what's going on and where people are at. No conversations needed. Problem solved.

A lot of people won't let you off that easy. Once they have you on the line they will insist on a conversation.

And I'm not talking about calls I initiate (I never would, anyway. Why do I need to know where everyone is?) I'm talking about receiving calls from others.

No one mentions "emergency" as the main reason for getting a cellphone. That's like so 10 years ago. We now get cellphones because we want them, adn the "emergency" part is just an add on. So, you're not paying for an emergency device. I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

Because it's an argument people make a lot to me. And what part of "I don't want one" don't you understand? I still don't hear why I would want one.

If you're not available for a conversation or any interruption, don't pick up the phone or turn the damn thing off the moment you become unavailable. Problem solved. These things don't imply that you're available to talk 24/7. I have no idea how you came to that conclusion either.

Again, so when should I keep it on? When would I want it on? Why would I want it? You aren't making any arguments at all, much less good ones.

Find better arguments.

I don't need to make any arguments. You're the one implying that I need a cell phone. You argue your case. I'm just arguing that there is never a time I would want the damn thing. That was the only thing I ever had to demonstrate, and I'm pretty suire I demonstrated it adequately.

You find better arguments. Or any arguments. At all. :grumpy:

I wonder how much money this teacher spends on tires every year.

morphism said:
Same here. Although I do carry my old cell phone around with me as a watch.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Xezlec, perhaps you just want to be different, that's all.

Xezlec said:
- I hate being interrupted and having to wait silently while my friends spend 1-2 hours talking to someone on the phone, after I made the time to go and hang out with them.
The 1-2 hours thing was an exaggeration, right? If your "friends" talk on the phone for 1-2 hours while hanging out with you, then uhhhh :uhh: My friends usually answer and either make it quick "Yeah, no, cool, later", or they say "Let me call you back later".

Xezlec said:
I don't answer my phone while driving. If I need to take the call, I put it on speaker.

Xezlec said:
Once again, this is yet another OPTIONAL thing. Just because you have a phone, doesn't mean you are obligated to use it. I have a friend who has a prepaid phone he bought half a year ago. He has only used 100 minutes of it.

Xezlec said:
To know that you will be able to reach someone... If you're running late you can call and tell someone that.

Xezlec said:
You don't have to answer. There's an ignore button. There is also a power button.

I'm not saying that you should get a phone. Are you just saying that you don't want to pay so much for something you would almost never use? I like having my phone to be able to text throughout the day, virtually anywhere. I communicate with my friends through text and rarely by phone.

Also, I can play music on my phone :tongue2: My phone has a 2MP camera which has pretty good quality. I've used it many times. My phone has a gps feature. I've only used that once, but it was awesome. I can get on AIM with my phone, as well as check email. It has a qwerty keypad so I type rather quickly on it... I rarely use these things, but there are times when I need to. My phone is also my alarm in the mornings as well as my watch during the day.

I also own neither a cell phone nor a car. I may need to get a car soon, depending upon whether I can find a job in bike range, but I see no need for a cell phone. I don't even use normal phones except for official business like calling to be ignored by my utility provider or something.

I had a professor that would answer a student's cell phone if it went off to politely inform the caller that the student was in class at that time and not available for conversation. That always struck me as the most effective way to deal with it.

Living in Alaska, it's nice having a cell phone because of the way civilization is strung out across thousands of miles.

It's also nice when you break down in -40 weather and need a save.

Astronuc said:
I don't understand why people need to be constantly communicating with others, especially when it is some inane or trivial conversation.
This from someone who spends about 22 hours a day on PF.

Exactly. I'd turn it off in both situations (though I don't drive). I'd have it turned off 24/7. Why buy it?

Then have it turned off 24/7. I don't care. Why buy it? Well, in that case, it would strictly be used for emergencies.

And yes, having a cell phone does force you to talk on it while driving. Apparently. I can't prove it rationally, but anecdotal evidence appears to suggest that humans are incapable of owning a cell phone but turning it off when they drive. I've never seen someone do that, even the people who claim they should.

Do you do that?

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. My friends don't even answer it while on the road. That sounds like VERY weak evidence. I'm interested in knowing the source though.

And, no I don't do that.

A lot of people won't let you off that easy. Once they have you on the line they will insist on a conversation.

And I'm not talking about calls I initiate (I never would, anyway. Why do I need to know where everyone is?) I'm talking about receiving calls from others.

If they insist to have a conversation, click the hang up button. WOW, isn't that easy. That's what I do. If you're friends get mad, tell them you don't want to have conversations on your cellphone. If they don't respect that, get new friends. Not everyone has conversations on their cellphones at every possible moment.

Why do you need to know where everyone else is? I don't know. You tell me. If you're out at a bar and someone left, wouldn't it be nice to know your friend left? Of course! But then again, you're friend could just come and find you and tell you he's leaving, but why not just call you. It's much faster. Why should you care he's leaving? You might be his ride home or he might be your ride home. That's why.

I don't need to make any arguments. You're the one implying that I need a cell phone. You argue your case. I'm just arguing that there is never a time I would want the damn thing. That was the only thing I ever had to demonstrate, and I'm pretty suire I demonstrated it adequately.

You don't need to make arguments and you're right about that, but you made some up anyways and they turned out to be weak arguments. I'm also not implying you get a cellphone because I DON'T EVEN HAVE ONE. Did you not read my posts?

moose said:
Once again, this is yet another OPTIONAL thing. Just because you have a phone, doesn't mean you are obligated to use it.

I never said I was. You seem to be suggesting I should get something for no reason at all. Like in the absence of any reason to use something I should get it by default. That's silly. I've just knocked out every possible time when anyone ever uses a cell phone. What is left? What is the purpose? If you're not buying it to use it at one of those "optional" but (I argue) bad times, why are you buying it at all? It's an object whose only possible usages are all bad ideas. At least for me.

To know that you will be able to reach someone... If you're running late you can call and tell someone that.

I already do that. I'm not saying I don't use phones. I'm saying I don't use cellular phones. Do you really need to tell someone you're late while you're driving? If not, then why not just stop and call on a normal land line?

You don't have to answer. There's an ignore button. There is also a power button.

And if I buy an automatic weapon, I don't have to use it either. Hey! I better go buy a gun then...

I'm not saying that you should get a phone. Are you just saying that you don't want to pay so much for something you would almost never use?

No, I'm saying I wouldn't even pick one up if it was lying on the street, since I have zero uses for it (at least good, responsible uses). I don't pick up rocks lying around either. It's a useless object to me.

I like having my phone to be able to text throughout the day, virtually anywhere. I communicate with my friends through text and rarely by phone.

When you say "virtually anywhere", can you think of such a place that doesn't also have a land line? And what's so great about text?

Also, I can play music on my phone :tongue2: My phone has a 2MP camera which has pretty good quality. I've used it many times. My phone has a gps feature. I've only used that once, but it was awesome. I can get on AIM with my phone, as well as check email. It has a qwerty keypad so I type rather quickly on it... I rarely use these things, but there are times when I need to. My phone is also my alarm in the mornings as well as my watch during the day.

I have a watch, an alarm clock, and a portable MP3 player (though it's not an iPod. So far, I'm not interested in anything that can't take plain old AA's. My current player seems awesome to me in that and other respects). I've never needed GPS. I have a tiny keychain camera I can carry around if I want to, but I haven't lately just because I don't really care.

Email is almost a convincing reason. Almost. The thing is when I get email I usually want to start doing computery stuff (i.e. posting on PF) so I prefer to check email on a 'puter anyway.

If they add enough features, I might get one someday. But I doubt I'll ever use it as a phone.

JasonRox said:
Then have it turned off 24/7. I don't care. Why buy it? Well, in that case, it would strictly be used for emergencies.

Oh emm gee. After I already pre-emptively knocked out that objection and you made some remark about how "no one says that anymore". Now you're just trolling.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. My friends don't even answer it while on the road. That sounds like VERY weak evidence. I'm interested in knowing the source though.

Okay, billg, grow a sense of humor. I was cynically implying that a lot of people seem to ignore their own advice about talking on the phone while driving.

If they insist to have a conversation, click the hang up button. WOW, isn't that easy. That's what I do. If you're friends get mad, tell them you don't want to have conversations on your cellphone. If they don't respect that, get new friends.

Glad I'm not one of your friends. And I wasn't just talking about friends. Family is always the biggest offender on these kinds of things.

Why do you need to know where everyone else is? I don't know. You tell me. If you're out at a bar and someone left, wouldn't it be nice to know your friend left?

Those of us who consider our friends important enough not to just give them the finger if we think they talk too much rarely have this problem.

You don't need to make arguments and you're right about that, but you made some up anyways and they turned out to be weak arguments.

Don't you read my posts? If you look carefully you'll note that I was responding to the question "why don't you get a cell phone?" All I had to do was argue why it is of no responsible use, and that was all I did. Quite well. I had no reason to try and argue against the assertion that I need one, because no one made any good argument why I need one. And you still haven't. Why are you still talking?

reminds me of the conversation i had in about 1984, with dave penney, an author of edwards and penney, when i complained about problems in his book requiring a calculator. and he said "you have a tv don't you?" to which i responded truthfully, "no." that ended that discussion.

mathwonk said:
reminds me of the conversation i had in about 1984, with dave penney, an author of edwards and penney, when i complained about problems in his book requiring a calculator. and he said "you have a tv don't you?" to which i responded truthfully, "no." that ended that discussion.

except for here... the discussion never ends!

1. What qualities make a professor "cool"?

There is no one definitive answer to this question, as different people may have different opinions on what makes a professor "cool". Some may consider a professor to be cool if they are knowledgeable and passionate about their subject, while others may value a professor who is approachable and relatable. Ultimately, a cool professor is someone who is able to engage and inspire their students.

2. How can I tell if a professor is cool or not?

The best way to determine if a professor is cool is to attend one of their classes or talk to students who have taken their courses. You can also look for reviews or ratings of the professor online. Keep in mind that what one person considers cool may not be the same for another, so it's important to form your own opinion based on your personal interactions with the professor.

3. Can a professor be cool and strict at the same time?

Yes, it is possible for a professor to have a strict teaching style while still being considered cool. Being strict does not necessarily mean being unapproachable or unlikable. A cool professor can still set high expectations and hold students accountable while also being engaging and inspiring.

4. Are there any drawbacks to having a cool professor?

While having a cool professor can be a positive experience, there can also be some drawbacks. For example, a cool professor may be popular and have a large number of students, which can make it more challenging to get one-on-one attention or assistance. Additionally, some students may be more focused on the professor's personality rather than the material being taught.

5. Is it important for a professor to be cool?

While having a cool professor can make the learning experience more enjoyable, it is not the most important factor in a professor's effectiveness. Ultimately, a professor's knowledge, teaching style, and ability to engage and inspire students are what truly matter. It's also important to remember that what one person considers cool may not be the same for everyone, so a professor should not be judged solely on their "coolness".