Is This Proof Correct? Ask & Discuss Here

In summary, the conversation revolved around a proof/justification in a book that the speaker initially thought may be incorrect. They then mentioned the example from the book and how they were thrown off by the ending. The other person explained that it was simply a matter of familiarity with the concept and that a different choice of constant may have made it more obvious. The speaker then understood and thanked the other person for clarifying.
JasMath33
I was reading this book yesterday and looking at this proof/justification. I was thinking it is possibly incorrect, but wanted to get some other opinions. Here is the example they gave in the book with the work attached.

upload_2016-7-6_8-50-23.png

upload_2016-7-6_8-50-53.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks ok to me. What does make you think it might be incorrect?

fresh_42 said:
Looks ok to me. What does make you think it might be incorrect?
I guess what threw me off was the ending. I was just expecting to see something stating therefore the the function is Lipschitz. I guess in the book, they wanted you to just in your head think that.

JasMath33 said:
I guess what threw me off was the ending. I was just expecting to see something stating therefore the the function is Lipschitz. I guess in the book, they wanted you to just in your head think that.
Well, it's the definition of Lipschitz continuity. If one has to show a number ##n## is even and shows it is divisible by ##2##, nobody would complain about a missing "... therefore ##n## is even", because we are used to the concept of even numbers. It is the same here: simply a matter of acquaintance. Maybe it would be a little more obvious if one had chosen ##L## instead of ##M## as the constant.

fresh_42 said:
Well, it's the definition of Lipschitz continuity. If one has to show a number ##n## is even and shows it is divisible by ##2##, nobody would complain about a missing "... therefore ##n## is even", because we are used to the concept of even numbers. It is the same here: simply a matter of acquaintance. Maybe it would be a little more obvious if one had chosen ##L## instead of ##M## as the constant.
Yeah I see what you are saying now. It makes sense. Thanks.

Related to Is This Proof Correct? Ask & Discuss Here

1. What is the evidence or data supporting this proof?

The evidence supporting this proof will vary depending on the specific proof being discussed. It could include experimental data, mathematical calculations, or logical reasoning.

2. How can we ensure that this proof is valid and reliable?

To ensure the validity and reliability of a proof, it should be subject to peer review by other experts in the field. This involves critically evaluating the evidence, assumptions, and logic used in the proof. Replication of the results by other researchers can also help to confirm its validity.

3. What are the potential limitations or weaknesses of this proof?

Like any scientific work, a proof may have limitations or weaknesses. These could include assumptions that may not hold true in all cases, potential bias in the data or analysis, or incomplete understanding of the underlying phenomenon. It is important to critically evaluate these limitations to determine the strength of the proof.

4. How does this proof contribute to our understanding of the topic?

The purpose of a proof is to provide evidence or reasoning to support a claim or theory. Therefore, a valid and reliable proof can contribute to our understanding of a topic by providing new insights, confirming previous findings, or challenging existing beliefs.

5. Are there any alternative explanations or counterarguments to this proof?

In scientific discussions, it is important to consider alternative explanations or counterarguments to a proof. This helps to evaluate the strength of the evidence and identify potential flaws or limitations. It also allows for further investigation and refinement of the proof.