Is this result by coincidence or by implication?

In summary: No problem, we all have our own ways of doing things. :)In summary, the conversation discusses a geometry puzzle that can be reduced to finding natural numbers a, b, and c that form a Pythagorean triad and such that (c-a) and b also form a second Pythagorean triad. The solution to this puzzle is found to be {7, 24, 25}. Later, it is discovered that {(c+a), b} also form a Pythagorean triad, but this is not a requirement of the original problem. The conversation then delves into finding a proof for this discovery, with one participant providing a simpler proof than the other.
uart
Science Advisor
The other day someone gave me a puzzle. It was a geometry type puzzle but I was a able to reduce it to a set of pythagorean triads. Essentually the problem turned out to be equilvalent to the following.

Find natural numbers a, b and c (each less than 42) such that {a, b, c} forms a Pythagorean traid and {(c-a), b} are also the first two elements of a second Pythagorean triad.

That is, a^2 + b^2 = c^2 and (c-a)^2 + b^2 = n^2 for some natural number n.

Since it was given that the problem had a solution it was a pretty easy matter of testing a few PT's to find the one that worked and I quickly found {a, b, c} = {7, 24, 25}.

Later it caught my attention that, {(c+a),b . }, also formed a Pythagorean triad, though this was not a requirement of the original problem. At first I suspected that this might be an implication of the other conditions but I was unable to deduce any such implication. So I thought I'd post it here and see if anybody else knew of any reason for that last PT other than just coincidence.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
BTW. Here is the original puzzle if anyone is interested.

I cut a rectangle from a piece of A3 paper (approx 42 by 30 cm). Both the length and height of the rectangle are a whole number of cm and when this rectangle is folded such that the diagonally opposite corners align then it forms a pentagon in which all five sides are also a whole number of centimeters. Find the size of rectangle that I cut.

The answer is (c+a) by b, for the a, b and c given previously.

I have a proof but, since it's rather long, I'll just outline the path and let you complete it. (If somebody sees a simpler way, please post it!)

Suppose you are given that {a,b,c} and {c-a,b,d} are Pythagorean triples. From the second, expanding (c-a)^2 + b^2 = d^2 and substituting a^2 + b^2 by c^2, you will get at 2c(c-a) = d^2.

Now prove the following lemma: "if {x,y,z} is a Pythagorean triple and z is even, then x and y must also be even".

Let {e,f,g} be the Pythagorean triple {(c-a)/2, b/2, d/2}, and arrive to ce = g^2.

Repeat everything for the triple (yet to be proven Pythagorean) {c+a,b,q}: either it is not Pythagorean, or ch = q^2, where h is the integer (c+a)/2.

Now prove that, if ce is a square and ch is also a square, then e = h . k^2 for some integer k. (Note that, in your example, c itself is a square, but this is not necessary for this proof.) Substitute into ce = g^2 in order to prove ch = q^2.

Good work dodo you've got it. :)

(Note that, in your example, c itself is a square, but this is not necessary for this proof.)
Yes I was wondering if that was part of the "co-incidence" or not.

Substitute into ce = g^2 in order to prove ch = q^2
ok that was the bit I was missing but I've got it now, many thanks.

I think this is about as simple a proof as I can make of this.

Given
[tex] a^2 + b^2 = c^2[/tex]
and
[tex] (c-a)^2 + b^2 = n^2 [/tex]

Expand the second equation and substitute for b^2 from the first to get,
[tex] 2 c (c-a) = n^2[/tex]

Consider the triple, {(c+a), b, [itex]\sqrt{(c+a)^2 + b^2}[/itex]}

Clearly this is a Pythagorean triple if [itex](c+a)^2+b^2[/itex] is a square number.

As before expand and substitute for b^2 to get,
[tex](c+a)^2 + b^2 = 2 c (c+a)[/tex]

[tex] \,\,\,\,\,\,\, = \frac{2 c (c^2 - a^2)}{c - a}\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,[/tex] : difference of two squares.

[tex] \,\,\,\,\,\,\, = \frac{2 c b^2}{c - a}\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,[/tex] : since b^2 = c^2 - a^2

[tex] \,\,\,\,\,\,\, = \frac{4 c^2 b^2}{n^2}\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,[/tex] : substituting for (c-a) from the 3rd equation.

So [itex] \sqrt{(c+a)^2 + b^2 }[/itex] is rational and therefore integer (by the rational root theorem).

Last edited:
[tex]\frac{4 c^2 b^2}{n^2}[/tex] is a square 'by eye'... it's the square of 2bc/n. And it can be verified (with some more lengthy expanding) that { (c+a), b, 2bc/n }, with [tex]n = \sqrt { (c-a)^2 + b^2 }[/tex], is a Pythagorean triple.

Anyway, that's certainly shorter than what I did!

1. What is the difference between coincidence and implication in scientific research?

Coincidence refers to an event or result that happens by chance, without any underlying cause or connection. Implication, on the other hand, suggests a direct relationship or connection between two variables or factors.

2. How do scientists determine if a result is due to coincidence or implication?

Scientists use statistical analysis and experimental design to determine the likelihood of a result occurring by chance. If the probability is low, then the result is more likely due to implication.

3. Can a result be both coincidental and consequential in scientific research?

Yes, it is possible for a result to be coincidental and consequential at the same time. This can happen when a seemingly random or chance event has significant and meaningful implications for a research study or hypothesis.

4. How does controlling for variables help determine if a result is by coincidence or by implication?

Controlling for variables is an important aspect of scientific research as it helps eliminate the influence of extraneous factors and isolate the relationship between the dependent and independent variables. By controlling for variables, scientists can better determine if a result is due to coincidence or implication.

5. Are there any limitations to determining if a result is by coincidence or by implication?

Yes, there are limitations to determining the cause of a result in scientific research. Some results may be difficult to replicate or may have multiple factors contributing to them, making it challenging to determine if they are solely due to coincidence or implication.