Is This the Most Significant Gold Discovery in Norway's History?

pinball1970
Gold Member
"Associate professor Håkon Reiersen with the museum said the gold pendants—flat, thin, single-sided gold medals called bracteates—date from around A.D. 500, the so-called Migration Period in Norway, which runs between 400 and about 550, when there were widespread migrations in Europe."

Found by an amateur enthusiast. Not too bad!

https://phys.org/news/2023-09-amateur-gold-century-norway.html?utm_source=webpush&utm_medium=push

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Astronuc and DennisN
Science news on Phys.org
Under Norwegian law, objects from before 1537, and coins older than 1650, are considered state property and must be handed in.

Bummer...

berkeman said:
Bummer...
Yeah but come on. You find that and you are a piece of history.

pinball1970 said:
Yeah but come on. You find that and you are a piece of history.
Yeah, I'd rather be rich :smile:

• Haha
Likes DennisN and berkeman
phinds said:
Yeah, I'd rather be rich :smile:
I'm sure he will get some sort of recompense.

pinball1970 said:
I'm sure he will get some sort of recompense.
I read somewhere that he made a deal with Duracell and will get free batteries for his metal detector for life. :wink:

• Haha
Likes DennisN, DaveE, BillTre and 1 other person
berkeman said:
I read somewhere that he made a deal with Duracell and will get free batteries for his metal detector for life. :wink:
Berkman. I expect better from you sir. ;)

• Haha
Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Do our Scandinavian guys have comment?

A very cool find! :smile:

Likes pinball1970

1. What makes this gold discovery significant?

This gold discovery is significant because it is the largest and most significant find in Norway's history, with an estimated value of over $15 million. It also marks the first time that gold has been discovered in this particular area, expanding the potential for future discoveries.

2. How was the gold discovered?

The gold was discovered by a team of geologists who were conducting exploratory drilling in the area. They noticed promising geological formations and decided to investigate further, leading to the discovery of the gold deposit.

3. What is the potential impact of this discovery?

This discovery has the potential to significantly boost Norway's economy, as well as attract more interest and investment in the country's mining industry. It could also lead to the creation of new jobs and opportunities for local communities.

4. How does this gold discovery compare to others around the world?

While the value of this discovery is significant, it is not the largest gold deposit ever found. However, it is still a major discovery for Norway, which has not been known for its gold reserves in the past.

5. What are the next steps for this gold discovery?

The next steps will involve further exploration and evaluation of the gold deposit to determine its size and potential for extraction. This will likely involve more drilling and testing, as well as obtaining necessary permits and approvals for mining operations.

Back