Is this the right way to find Zeq for parallel circuit

In summary, the student is asking if their method for finding Zeq is correct, and how to multiply the Vsource value. The expert confirms that the method is correct, but points out a small error in the calculation. They also suggest including the appropriate units in the solution. The student then states that they have successfully found the correct solution with the expert's help.
pokie_panda

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=58319&stc=1&d=1367181165.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84781786@N03/8687383259/in/photostream/

Homework Equations

Vc=Vsource*Zeq/(200+Zeq)

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this the correct way to get Zeq
100Ω and inductor as series . so we
100+j100 parallel with the capacitor. which is -j100
so we use the formula Z1 + Z2//Z3
which we get 400

Is this correct
Also how do we multiply the Vsource value ?

Attachments

• 8687383259_4835237175_b.jpg
    8687383259_4835237175_b.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 633
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pokie_panda said:

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://www.flickr.com/photos/84781786@N03/8687383259/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/84781786@N03/8687383259/in/photostream/

Homework Equations

Vc=Vsource*Zeq/(200+Zeq)

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this the correct way to get Zeq
100Ω and inductor as series . so we
100+j100 parallel with the capacitor. which is -j100 [itex]\leftarrow[/itex] should be -j200?
so we use the formula Z1 + Z2//Z3
which we get 400

Is this correct
Your description is a bit hard to follow, but it looks like you've got the right procedure. Your result has the correct magnitude, but lacks the appropriate units (that would lose you marks if submitted that way!).
Also how do we multiply the Vsource value ?
Multiply the Vsource? For what purpose?

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up getting the correct solution , thanks for your help

1. How do I know if I am using the right method to find Zeq for a parallel circuit?

The best way to determine if you are using the correct method is to double check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the principles of parallel circuits. You can also consult with your peers or a more experienced scientist for their input.

2. What factors should I consider when finding Zeq for a parallel circuit?

When calculating Zeq for a parallel circuit, you should consider the resistance of each individual branch, the number of branches, and the voltage across each branch. Additionally, you should take into account any resistors that are connected in series with the parallel branches.

3. Can I use the same method to find Zeq for any type of parallel circuit?

Yes, the method for finding Zeq for a parallel circuit is consistent regardless of the specific configuration of the circuit. However, the values of the resistors and other components may vary, so be sure to plug in the correct values when calculating.

4. What happens if I use the wrong method to calculate Zeq for a parallel circuit?

Using the wrong method may result in an incorrect value for Zeq, which can affect the overall analysis and understanding of the circuit. It is important to use the correct method to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding Zeq for a parallel circuit?

There are various techniques and formulas that can be used to simplify the calculation of Zeq for a parallel circuit, such as the reciprocal method or the product-over-sum method. These shortcuts can save time and make the calculation process more efficient, but it is important to understand the underlying principles and assumptions behind these methods.