Is this trigonometric solution correct?

In summary, to solve for y', we can use the equation 4[(cos x)(cos y)(y') + (sin y)(-sin x)] = 0 and simplify it to y' = (sin x sin y) / (cos x cos y). This can also be simplified further using the fact that sinA/cosA = tanA.
mileena

Homework Statement

Solve for y':

4[(cos x)(cos y)(y') + (sin y)(-sin x)] = 0

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

4[(cos x)(cos y)(y') + (sin y)(-sin x)] = 0

4y' (cos x) (cos y) - 4 (sin x) (sin y) = 0

4y' (cos x) (cos y) = 4 (sin x) (sin y)

y' = [4 (sin x) (sin y)] / [4 (cos x) (cos y)]

y' = (sin x sin y) / (cos x cos y)

Thanks! I am really shaky at trigonometry, so the above worries me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that is correct. If you want to, you can simplify it even more using the fact that sinA/cosA = tanA.

Thanks rock.freak667! See what I mean? I didn't even see that in the equation, although I do know that tan x = sin x/cos x.

1. Is there a definitive way to determine if a trigonometric solution is correct?

Yes, there are several ways to check the accuracy of a trigonometric solution. One method is to plug the values back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Another method is to use a calculator or computer program to calculate the values and compare them to the solution. You can also use trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the solution and see if it matches the original equation.

2. How can I be sure that my trigonometric solution is accurate?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to double check your work and use multiple methods to verify the solution. Additionally, rounding errors and calculator/computer errors can occur, so it is important to be mindful of these and round to an appropriate number of significant figures.

3. Can I use a trigonometric solution from a similar problem for a different problem?

It depends on the problem and the approach used to solve it. If the new problem has the same variables and parameters, then the same solution may work. However, if the problem is significantly different, it is best to approach it with a fresh solution rather than assuming the same solution will work.

4. What should I do if my trigonometric solution does not match the given solution?

If your solution does not match the given solution, it is important to carefully review your work and check for any errors. You can also try using a different method to solve the problem or asking for help from a peer or teacher. It is also possible that the given solution is incorrect, so it is important to verify its accuracy as well.

5. Are there any common mistakes to look out for when solving trigonometric equations?

Yes, some common mistakes include forgetting to convert degrees to radians or vice versa, using the wrong trigonometric ratio, forgetting to use the inverse function when solving for an angle, and making calculation errors. It is important to be aware of these potential mistakes and to double check your work to avoid them.