Is this true, or is it just bs

• Thread starter Forestman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the island of stability in nuclear physics, where certain elements with a high number of protons and neutrons may have longer half-lives compared to other elements. The stability is relative and there is speculation about the most stable isotopes, with some suggesting 299 or 345 as potential candidates.
Forestman
When I was in high school someone told me once that for some strange reason that I do not understand that elements would start becoming stable again after reaching the atomic number 115. I don't see how this would be possible though because it seems like the positive force of so many protons would blow it apart.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks mgb_phys, I have always wondered about that.

The stability is relative not absolute. Specifically, in the island of stability the half-lives are expected to be longer than for nuclides with a few less protons.

If 115 offers a magic number isotope, is there any guess as to what that half-life would be? I see that 288 was synthesized and seems have a h/l of ~ 85 ms. I also read that there was speculation that 299 would be the most stable isotope, but I also read that 345 (wow) should be the most stable, considering "hindrance of fission by odd particles." I haven't seen any speculation on just how stable 345 might be, though, and I was wondering if there have been any such guesses made.

Last edited:

1. Is this statement backed by scientific evidence?

It is important to evaluate the source of the information and the credibility of the evidence presented before determining if a statement is true or not. A reputable source with peer-reviewed research is more likely to be true compared to an unreliable source with no evidence to support their claim.

2. How can I determine the reliability of a source?

There are a few ways to determine the reliability of a source. Look for sources that have been peer-reviewed, meaning they have been evaluated by experts in the field. Additionally, check the qualifications and affiliations of the author to see if they have expertise in the topic they are discussing. It can also be helpful to cross-reference information with other reputable sources.

3. What is the difference between facts and opinions?

Facts are statements that can be verified through evidence and scientific research. They are objective and not influenced by personal beliefs or feelings. Opinions, on the other hand, are subjective and based on personal beliefs or preferences. It is important to distinguish between the two when evaluating the truthfulness of a statement.

4. How can I avoid falling for misinformation or fake news?

Be cautious of sources with sensational or clickbait headlines, as they may be more focused on attracting attention rather than presenting accurate information. Check the source of the information and look for reputable sources to corroborate the information. Additionally, fact-checking websites can be helpful in verifying information.

5. What steps can I take to critically evaluate information?

To critically evaluate information, it is important to assess the source, evidence, and presentation of the information. Consider the author's credentials, the quality of evidence presented, and any potential biases or agendas. It can also be helpful to gather information from multiple sources to get a well-rounded understanding of the topic.