Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this true, or is it just bs

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    When I was in high school someone told me once that for some strange reason that I do not understand that elements would start becoming stable again after reaching the atomic number 115. I don't see how this would be possible though because it seems like the positive force of so many protons would blow it apart.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Mar 26, 2009 #3
    Thanks mgb_phys, I have always wondered about that.

5. Mar 26, 2009 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The stability is relative not absolute. Specifically, in the island of stability the half-lives are expected to be longer than for nuclides with a few less protons.

6. Mar 27, 2009 #5
    If 115 offers a magic number isotope, is there any guess as to what that half-life would be? I see that 288 was synthesized and seems have a h/l of ~ 85 ms. I also read that there was speculation that 299 would be the most stable isotope, but I also read that 345 (wow) should be the most stable, considering "hindrance of fission by odd particles." I haven't seen any speculation on just how stable 345 might be, though, and I was wondering if there have been any such guesses made.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook