Homework Helper
Our winter in the NE is a bit mild.

I think our winter moved to Tx.

Please return it. :biggrin:
Shhh!

Borg

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm actually looking forward to that storm arriving in DC Saturday. The western suburbs may get up to 5 inches tomorrow!

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Snow's hit with a vengeance here today for the first time this season. That means we have to deal with at least a week of people driving as if they've never seen snow before even though we do this each and every year. It's a phenomenon, I tell you.
That's how I always felt when I lived in MI. People seemed to act completely surprised when it snowed every winter, and all I could think was, "It's MICHIGAN, it's SUPPOSED to snow a LOT every winter, isn't it?!"

We didn't get any snow down here in southern Texas. :cry: But I did here there was some a little more north of me although it melted right away.

Well I have good news to report. My small goldfish pond (plus one saved crawfish from our last boil) has had no casualties from the freeze. My kids have seen more snow in two years than I did for about 30. Here is a picture of one of those Texas snow babies your hear about. This is my youngest enjoying the snow.

Attachments

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We have snow here today. Of course, we're supposed to have snow this time of year, I just hadn't paid any attention to the forecast to know it was coming. So much for my plans to put up my outside Christmas decorations today. :frown: I can probably still put out the lawn ornaments if the ground hasn't frozen yet, but I don't think I'm going to fuss with the lights that get hung from the gutters (I have a pole for it so don't have to climb on a ladder but I think I might freeze before the job is done...with lawn ornaments, I can stop any time). Perhaps I'll limit lights to going up around the front door this year. It'll save me from having my Christmas lights up until March. :biggrin:

The snowplowers seem to be going crazy today. I've heard them pass by about 6 times in the last hour, and it's not snowing that hard! It only looks like 1 to 2 inches of accumulation so far, so I have no idea what the plows are plowing. But, this is much better than the old development I lived in where they MIGHT get around to plowing the ski slope drive into the place (the one with boulders at the bottom to keep you from careening over a cliff) once, at night, AFTER everyone returning home at rush hour had packed the snow down to a sheet of ice and everyone else was parked in front of the houses at the bottom of the hill because you couldn't drive up it anymore. At least if they're doing such a good job of plowing for a light snow here, I won't have to worry so much about getting in and out of the neighborhood on snow days (don't know about the rest of the winding, narrow, hilly roads between here and work yet, but I think I found a flatter route to take on snow days).

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well I have good news to report. My small goldfish pond (plus one saved crawfish from our last boil) has had no casualties from the freeze. My kids have seen more snow in two years than I did for about 30. Here is a picture of one of those Texas snow babies your hear about. This is my youngest enjoying the snow.
:rofl: I can't believe you saved a crawfish...hahaha!

I used to have a small fish pond that would freeze every year. I really don't know if it would freeze solid, though. Yet year after year, the fish* I put there to eat mosquito larvae would survive, even thrive.

*I think they were just common goldfish - they were 11-for-$1 "feeder fish" that you get at fish stores as dinner for other fish :eek:.

Evo

Mentor
What a cutie Ronnin!!

turbo

Gold Member
:rofl: I can't believe you saved a crawfish...hahaha!

I used to have a small fish pond that would freeze every year. I really don't know if it would freeze solid, though. Yet year after year, the fish* I put there to eat mosquito larvae would survive, even thrive.

*I think they were just common goldfish - they were 11-for-$1 "feeder fish" that you get at fish stores as dinner for other fish :eek:.
I have a backyard pond that is very deep, and the first year we lived here, I trapped about a dozen dace (chubs) from the brook running across the property and put them in the pond to see if they would survive. Three years on, they're about 9-10" long, with generations of offspring ranging from tiny minnows up to about their size. The biggest danger to the fish is a local great blue heron who has figured out that this a great place for lunch.

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Honestly, there isn't much that can immobilize the Southern United States like a good snow.
It's nothing compared to what happens in the North West if the sun ever comes out.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thank you very much. Don't let him fool you, he's pure evil.
:rofl:

Even though we ended up with snow all morning, I still put up the outside Christmas lights and decorations. Just skipped putting the lights up on the gutters. Once I was done shoveling the driveway, I was warm enough to stay out and keep working.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6750042.html
Houston braces for at least 2 inches of snow
Preparations under way, and some in Houston area may even see half a foot of the white stuff

Houston is on track Friday to break a record with the earliest snowfall ever recorded in the city's history. Forecasters are still hedging their bets, but say the most likely scenario is 1 to 2 inches of widespread snowfall beginning Friday afternoon.

Some areas could get up to a half a foot.​

The date on the article is Dec. 3, 2009, so nope, tomorrow is *not* April Fools.

Dang!
Thank you for returning our winter and snow with interest. You could have kept the rain though. Things are more or less back to normal.

S_Happens

Gold Member
Hmmm, I missed this thread on the first go round. I'm in the Houston area as well (in between D H and kote actually).

The snow was pretty disappointing compared to last year, although these were probably the biggest flakes I've ever seen (even compared to seeing 15" fall in Colorado early this year). Half dollar sized snowflakes in Houston are almost unheard of. Two days after the snow it warmed back up into the 70s and as of just after midnight tonight it's down in the 30s again.