Is Velocity Equal to Work Divided by Impulse in Physics?

• Thread starter lonelypancreas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: It's in the rules.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between work and impulse, and how dividing work over impulse results in the velocity of the object. The concept is then related to the equation E = pc and the famous equation E = mc^2, with a brief mention of general relativity.
lonelypancreas
Since Work = F*delta(d) and Impulse = F*delta(t) then dividing work over impulse, through simple cancellation of F we can say that it is now equal to delta d / delta t which is equal to velocity right? My question is, does this make sense "physics-wise" since I onlu arrived at my answer through cancellations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi lonely:

Your equations should be:
delta(Work) = F*delta(d)
delta(Impulse) = F*delta(t)​

delta(Work) is an infinitesimal of Work = an infinitesimal of energy = ΔE
delta(Impulse) is an infinitesimal of Impulse = an infinitesimal of momentum = Δp​

From
In empty space, the photon moves at c (the speed of light) and its energy and momentum are related by E = pc, where p is the https://www.physicsforums.com/javascript:void(0) of the momentum vector p.

Consider a photon which has momentum p and energy pc.
The result of dividing the photon's energy by its momentum gives its velocity c.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes lonelypancreas
E = pc is the same as E = (mc)c --> E = mc^2 right? I still haven't encountered relativity so I'm not quite familiar with that famous equation but I think through your answer, it made sense. Thanks.

lonelypancreas said:
Since Work = F*delta(d) and Impulse = F*delta(t) then dividing work over impulse, through simple cancellation of F we can say that it is now equal to delta d / delta t which is equal to velocity right? My question is, does this make sense "physics-wise" since I onlu arrived at my answer through cancellations?

If you have ##KE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2## and ##p = mv##, then

##\frac{KE}{p} = \frac{1}{2}v##

And:

##KE = \frac{p^2}{2m}##

You might like to think about why

##v \ne Work/Impulse##

lonelypancreas said:
E = pc is the same as E = (mc)c --> E = mc^2 right?

No, because p ≠ mc.

The general relativistic relationship between energy, momentum and (rest) mass is E2 = (pc)2 + (mc2)2. Set m = 0 and you get E = pc.

Given this was a post on classical mechanics in the Classical Physics section, I'm not sure how we ended up talking about relativity!

PeroK said:
Given this was a post on classical mechanics in the Classical Physics section, I'm not sure how we ended up talking about relativity!

Because this is PF. You can't write down an inclined plane problem without someone chiming in about GR.

Likes Mondayman and DrClaude

Related to Is Velocity Equal to Work Divided by Impulse in Physics?

1. What is the relationship between work, impulse, and velocity?

The equation work/impulse = velocity, also known as the impulse-momentum theorem, states that the change in momentum of an object is equal to the force applied multiplied by the time it is applied for. This means that the greater the work or impulse applied to an object, the greater its resulting velocity will be.

2. How is work related to velocity?

Work is directly related to velocity through the concept of kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, and it is directly proportional to the square of the object's velocity. Therefore, as an object's velocity increases, so does its kinetic energy, and consequently, the amount of work required to change its velocity.

3. What does the term "impulse" mean in the work/impulse = velocity equation?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of an object. It is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the time it is applied for. In simpler terms, impulse is the amount of force applied to an object over a certain period of time.

4. Does the work/impulse = velocity equation apply to all types of objects?

Yes, the impulse-momentum theorem applies to all objects, regardless of their mass or velocity. However, it is most commonly used to describe the motion of objects with constant mass and velocity, as well as objects that experience a sudden change in velocity due to an external force.

5. How is the work/impulse = velocity equation used in real-world applications?

The impulse-momentum theorem is widely used in engineering and physics to analyze the motion of objects and design structures that can withstand certain forces. It is also used in sports, such as in the concept of "follow-through" in baseball or golf, where a greater impulse is applied to the ball to increase its velocity. Additionally, the equation is used in the development of collision safety systems, such as airbags, to reduce the impact force on a person in a car crash.