1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is W a subspace of the vector space?

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    W={(x1,x2,x3):x[tex]^{2}_{1}[/tex]+x[tex]^{2}_{2}[/tex]+x[tex]^{2}_{3}[/tex]=0} , V=R^3

Is W a subspace of the vector space?
    from what i understand for subspace to be a subspace it has to have two conditions:
    1.must be closed under addition
    2.must be closed under multiplication

so....
    I pick a vector s=(s1,s2,s3) and a second vector t=(t1,t2,t3).

for the addition i get:
    s+t=(s1+t1,s2+t2,s3+t3)//so its closed under addition

for multiplication i get:
    cs=c(s1,s2,s3)=(cs1,cs2,cs3)//closed under multiplicartion

what i dont understand is how the condition x[tex]^{2}_{1}[/tex]+x[tex]^{2}_{2}[/tex]+x[tex]^{2}_{3}[/tex]=0 would come into play. how do i use this condition in this problem?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean V=R^3, right? And your 'proof' just proves R^3 is a vector space. It doesn't say anything about W. What is the set W? Can you find a point in it? Can you describe a general point in W?

4. Oct 24, 2007 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Of which vector space? You should be more precise, although it is obvious you meant R^3.

It is more practical to express this as one single condition; W is a subspace of V if and only if for any two vectors x, y from W, and any scalars a, b, ax + by is in W.

So, take any two vectors from W, let's say x = (x1, x2, x3) and y = (y1, y2, y3). Now write the linear combination ax + by, and see if the components of ax + by satisfy the condition for a vector to be in W. Also, while doing this, keep in mind that the components of x and y do satisfy this very condition!

5. Oct 24, 2007 #4
    my book says this:

If W is a nonempty subset of a vector space V, then W is a subspace of V if and only if the following closure conditions hold.
    1.u and v are in W, then u+v is in w.
    2if u is in W and c is a scalar, then cu is in W.

6. Oct 24, 2007 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So what does "x is in W" mean here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?