Isospin Conservation: Calculating I3 and I

In summary: For isospin, however, one gets a different result. Say you have two particles with isospin 1/2. When you add them, you end up with a total isospin of 2. However, if you subtract one particle from the other, you still end up with a total isospin of 1/2. This is because the total spin is the sum of the individual spins, but the overall isospin is not conserved.
tm33333
Homework Statement
check for isospin conservation in tau(minus)->muon(minus)+anti electron neutrino
Relevant Equations
I3=Q-Y/2
Y=B+S
I got the I3 values for the tau(minus) to be -1, as charge is -1 and Y=0. For muon(minus) i got I3 to be -1 too using the same equation and the anti electron neutrino to have an isospin of zero (since Q=0, Y=0). This shows I3 to be conserved (which is needed for strong interaction i believe), but what about the overall isospin, I? To calculate this do i add the individual I3's from each side together? or do i take the maximum value from each side (in which case overall isospin wouldn't be conserved)

Physics news on Phys.org
tm33333 said:
Homework Statement:: check for isospin conservation in tau(minus)->muon(minus)+anti electron neutrino
Relevant Equations:: I3=Q-Y/2
Y=B+S

I got the I3 values for the tau(minus) to be -1, as charge is -1 and Y=0. For muon(minus) i got I3 to be -1 too using the same equation and the anti electron neutrino to have an isospin of zero (since Q=0, Y=0). This shows I3 to be conserved (which is needed for strong interaction i believe), but what about the overall isospin, I? To calculate this do i add the individual I3's from each side together? or do i take the maximum value from each side (in which case overall isospin wouldn't be conserved)
Isospin is like spin (they are both representations of the group SU(2)), do you recall how to combine two spins. from quantum mechanics?

Likes tm33333
nrqed said:
Isospin is like spin (they are both representations of the group SU(2)), do you recall how to combine two spins. from quantum mechanics?
Sorry can't remember ever doing that? Is it a matter of simply adding them or is it more than that?

Likes nrqed
It is not adding in the usual sense. You may recall from quantum mechanics that if we combine, say, two spin 1/2, one gets either a total spin of zero or a total spin of 1. In adding two spins [itex] S_1,S_2 [/itex], one gets all possible spins going from [itex] S_1 +S_2 [/itex] down to [itex] |S_1-S_2| [/itex].

What is isospin conservation?

Isospin conservation is a fundamental principle in nuclear and particle physics which states that the total isospin value of a system remains constant during interactions. Isospin is a quantum number that describes the symmetry between protons and neutrons in an atomic nucleus or between different types of quarks in a particle. This conservation law is analogous to the conservation of electric charge.

How is isospin calculated?

In order to calculate the isospin of a system, we first need to determine the isospin values of the individual particles within the system. This can be done by assigning an isospin value of 1/2 to protons, -1/2 to neutrons, and 0 to other particles. Then, the isospin of the system is given by the algebraic sum of the isospin values of its constituent particles.

What is I3 in isospin conservation?

I3, or the third component of isospin, is one of the three possible projections of isospin along a specific axis. It is represented by the symbol I3 and can take on values of -1/2, 0, or 1/2. This quantum number is conserved in strong interactions, but not in weak interactions.

Why is isospin conservation important?

Isospin conservation is important because it helps explain and predict the behavior of particles in nuclear and particle interactions. It allows us to classify particles into isospin multiplets and understand their symmetries. Isospin conservation also helps us understand the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for binding protons and neutrons together in an atomic nucleus.

What are the practical applications of isospin conservation?

Isospin conservation has practical applications in nuclear and particle physics research. It helps in the understanding of nuclear structure and interactions, as well as in the design of nuclear reactors and particle accelerators. Isospin symmetry has also been observed in certain exotic particles, providing insights into the fundamental forces of nature.