Isothermal expansion/compression

• Thread starter hydrogen1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isothermal
In summary: AZING! Thank you for summarizing this for me. In summary, the Isothermal expansion problem is that if you expand a gas isothermally from one temperature to another, then the internal energy (or energy of the system) does not change. However, if you need to specify the state of the system for some reason, you need to know two state functions: the pressure and volume at the outset, and the internal energy at the end.
hydrogen1
Maybe somebody can explain this to me and I will have a better understand of the Isothermal expansion problem. Here is what I know:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]U(T)=0
but internal energy is also a state function. So if I expand from P1,V1 to P2,V2 isothermally then how can internal energy not change. Internal energy is a state function and depends on the state which has changed.

Science news on Phys.org
So, what I think you're saying is "U should entirely specify the state of my system because it is a state function, hence if I have some state where U=something and another state where U=same thing, then those two states should be the same, but they clearly aren't because they have different P,V".

Well, "objectively" speaking, P,V,U (G,H...there's a lot of them) are all equally useful state functions, and in the case you've described you need to know *two* state functions in order to specify a system (i.e. you have a state-space of dimension two). The typical state functions people choose for this are P,V, so knowing P,V for an ideal gas will allow you to entirely specify all other state functions. Thus, only knowing U isn't enough to entirely specify the state--you need something else. Furthermore, that other state function must be linearly independent of U (i.e., we can't pick T, because in an ideal gas it's just proportional to U). Thus U alone doesn't specify the system, but, for example, U and P do. In the isothermal expansion example you brought up, though U didn't change, P did change so the state is still uniquely specified.

Your state function needs to be one-to-one only if your state space if one-dimensional, ie. that state function entirely specifies the state of the system.

Yeah, I understand that one phase of one component means two state functions will fix all others. So what I'm saying is P1,V1 defines state one and P2,V2 defines state two. I feel like U1 and U2 should be different then. However, they are not U2-U1=0. Is this just because the states are different in such a way that U2=U1?

Right, exactly--the states are different in the exact special way that U1=U2 (which is exactly the definition of an isothermal process for an ideal gas).

What I meant to say was that there's no reason to intuitively believe that U1 should be different than U2, because U alone doesn't specify the state of the system. If, for example, after an isothermal expansion (in which the state has clearly changed) (U1,P1)=(U2,P2), or (U1,V1)=(U2,V2), or, using the typical state variables, (P1,V1)=(P2,V2), then we'd have a pretty big problem. But this isn't the case, so we're okay.

The reason why U1=U2 is because that's the definition of an isothermal process for an ideal gas. Recall that for an ideal gas, U=0.5fNkT, i.e. [tex]U \propto T [/tex], so if we want [tex]\Delta T=0[/tex] that also means [tex]\Delta U=0[/tex].

If you had a non-ideal gas (with interactions), then an isothermal process doesn't necessarily mean [tex]\Delta U=0[/tex].

Last edited:
hydrogen1 said:
Maybe somebody can explain this to me and I will have a better understand of the Isothermal expansion problem. Here is what I know:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]U(T)=0
but internal energy is also a state function. So if I expand from P1,V1 to P2,V2 isothermally then how can internal energy not change. Internal energy is a state function and depends on the state which has changed.
In an ideal gas, internal energy is a function of temperature only. So there is no change in internal energy of an ideal gas during an isothermal (constant temperature) process.

If this is an ideal gas and the temperature has not changed, then P1V1 = P2V2. So, although the pressure and volume may have changed, the internal energy (which is determined by the product PV = nRT) has not.

AM

1. What is isothermal expansion/compression?

Isothermal expansion/compression refers to a process in thermodynamics where a gas undergoes a change in volume while being held at a constant temperature. This means that the gas is neither gaining nor losing heat during the process.

2. How is isothermal expansion/compression different from adiabatic expansion/compression?

The main difference between isothermal and adiabatic expansion/compression is that isothermal processes occur at a constant temperature while adiabatic processes occur without any heat exchange with the surroundings. This means that for an isothermal process, the gas is in thermal equilibrium with the surroundings, while for an adiabatic process, there is no heat transfer.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how is it related to isothermal expansion/compression?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that relates the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. In an isothermal process, the temperature is held constant, so the ideal gas law can be used to calculate the change in volume or pressure.

4. How does isothermal expansion/compression affect the internal energy of a gas?

In an isothermal process, since the temperature remains constant, the internal energy of the gas also remains constant. This means that the change in internal energy (ΔU) is equal to 0. This is because the energy gained or lost by the gas in the form of work done by or on the gas is equal to the energy lost or gained by the gas in the form of heat transfer.

5. What are some real-life examples of isothermal expansion/compression?

Isothermal expansion/compression can be observed in everyday life in various systems such as refrigerators, air conditioners, and heat engines. In these systems, gases undergo isothermal processes to maintain a constant temperature and perform work. Another example is the expansion and compression of air in a bicycle pump, where the temperature remains constant as the air is compressed or expanded.