Isotropy of Time: Exploring Landau's Mechanics

• Thread starter zerokool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: Therefore, there is no need for a separate law derived from the isotropy of time. In summary, Landau's Mechanics derives the three conservation laws of energy, linear momentum, and angular momentum from three principles: homogeneity of time, homogeneity of space, and isotropy of space. The concept of isotropy does not apply to time since it is one-dimensional, making it unnecessary to derive a separate law from the isotropy of time.
zerokool
In Landau's Mechanics he derives the three conservation laws of energy, linera momentum and angular momentum from three principles respectivly: homogeneity of time, homogeneity of space and isotrophy of space

To complete the symmetry could there be a law derived from the isotrophy of time?

Attachments

• conservation-laws.png
    conservation-laws.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 504
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as "isotrophy". The word is "isotropy", which means that all the ways (orientations) are equal. Time, unlike space, is one-dimensional, so the concept is simply inapplicable.

Thanks for the speling lesson.

I know what isotrophy means. Please assume the person asking the question know what the terms they are using mean. I don't want to feel insulted when I come here and you may not know how much I've thought about my question.

Last edited:
zerokool said:
Thanks for the speling lesson.

I know what isotrophy means.

You have been told, it means nothing. Insisting on your mistakes won't get you anywhere.

Please assume the person asking the question know what the terms they are using mean. I don't want to feel insulted when I come here and you may not know how much I've thought about my question.

I have addressed the essence of your question. You have chosen to pay attention only to the note on grammar. This is not productive.

zerokool said:
Please assume the person asking the question know what the terms they are using mean.
We generally do assume that unless there is evidence to the contrary. In this case, voko correctly pointed out that the term you are using is inapplicable to the context in which you are using it. You need at least two dimensions for the term "isotropy" to apply and time has only one dimension.

The question itself indicates that you didn't know the meaning of the terms you were using, so voko correctly explained. That is the purpose of the forum, to help educate people on scientific concepts. It isn't an insult to be instructed in something you don't know or corrected in a mistake, that is just education.

I was here raising a question to stimulate discussion. Do you think I can't bring up points you will have difficulty answering? You see, with deep thinking and experience comes the humility that knowledge of anything like physics is a complicated and complex affair. And if you probe deeply you find many difficult questions that are not easy to answer.

I am a Buddhist monk and part of a living debate tradition going back thousands of years. My training is in probing deeper and deeper and hitting on one point until one reachs a point where the surface answer is no longer clear. Easy questions have easy answers, deep questions have deep answers.

In terms of credentials I have a BS in physics and an MS in maths. I taught HS physics for four years. I've challenged physics professors who could only answer by telling me I was wrong without any proof.

@Voko, before you go around insulting my level of thinking compare your answer in the "Lagrangian equation of motion" post. You did not even understand what the poster mean by kinetic energy being independent of position yet I did and I even mentioned the section of Landau where you could read more on this. If you had read Landau's Mechanics or actually understood the basics of the Lagrangian you would have seen this is what the poster was asking. So yeah I guess I know a little physics.

I know that time is only is only one dimentional. I know you need at least two dimentions to define a rotation which is how you can derive conservation of angular momentum via isotropy of space.

My question is still not answered as far as I'm concerned.

zerokool said:
I was here raising a question to stimulate discussion.
The purpose of this forum is for education on existing mainstream physics, not for discussion of new physical theories. The only answers which are possible within the rules of this forum have already been given: the term isotropy is simply inapplicable in the context of your question.

DaleSpam said:
The only answers which are possible within the rules of this forum have already been given: the term isotropy is simply inapplicable in the context.
Another way to look at it: Homogeneity does not necessarily imply isotropy for a multidimensional space, but it does for a one dimensional space. If a one dimensional space is homogeneous it is also isotropic, and vice versa.

FAQ: Isotropy of Time: Exploring Landau's Mechanics

1. What is the concept of isotropy of time?

The concept of isotropy of time refers to the idea that time behaves in the same way regardless of the direction in which it is measured. This means that the laws of physics and the passage of time are the same in all directions.

2. What is Landau's mechanics and how does it relate to isotropy of time?

Landau's mechanics is a mathematical framework for describing the motion of particles in classical mechanics. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the path a particle takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action integral. This theory is closely related to isotropy of time because it assumes that the laws of physics are the same in all directions, including time.

3. How is the concept of isotropy of time tested in physics?

The concept of isotropy of time is tested through various experiments and observations in physics. One common method is to measure the speed of light in different directions, as it is believed to be a constant regardless of the direction in which it is measured. Other experiments involve testing the symmetry of physical phenomena, such as the behavior of particles in a magnetic field, to see if they are the same in all directions of time.

4. Why is the concept of isotropy of time important in physics?

Isotropy of time is important in physics because it is a fundamental principle that helps us understand the behavior of the universe. It allows us to make predictions and calculations based on the assumption that the laws of physics are the same in all directions, which has been consistently supported by experimental evidence. Without this principle, our understanding of the physical world would be significantly limited.

5. Are there any exceptions to the principle of isotropy of time?

While the principle of isotropy of time holds true in most cases, there are a few exceptions. One example is the weak nuclear force, which has been observed to violate the symmetry of time. Additionally, some theories, such as loop quantum gravity, propose that time may not be symmetric at the smallest scales. However, these exceptions do not invalidate the overall principle of isotropy of time and are still being studied and debated in the scientific community.