Issues With Simple Integration Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's attempt at solving a calculus problem involving integration and the use of an online system for immediate feedback. The student's work is mostly correct, but they made a mistake in integrating with respect to the wrong variable. They also received feedback from another user to check their answer with WolframAlpha and were reminded to be consistent with their variables. The user also pointed out that the final answer should be written as a piecewise function to account for the domain of ln(x).
swashbuckler77
My Calc II class is currently doing Calc I integration review before we get started with integration by parts. I am using an online system that gives immediate feedback on my work and it has said that my answer is wrong. Not sure where I'm going wrong.

Homework Statement

Evaluate: [tex]\int \frac{(t+9)^2}{t^3} dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

Sum rule: [tex]\int (f + g) dx = \int (f) dx + \int (g) dx[/tex]
Common denominator rule: [tex]\frac{(a+b)}{c} = \frac{a}{c} + \frac{b}{c}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Multiply out the numerator
[tex](t+9)^2[/tex]
[tex]t^2 + 18t + 81[/tex]
2. Result
[tex]= \int \frac{t^2 + 18t + 81}{t^3} dx[/tex]
3. Split up into three fractions by the common denominator rule provided
[tex]= \int ( \frac{t^2}{t^3} + \frac{18t}{t^3} + \frac{81}{t^3} ) dx[/tex]
4. Simplify
[tex]= \int ( \frac{1}{t} + \frac{18}{t^2} + \frac{81}{t^3} ) dx[/tex]
5. By the Sum Rule, I can rewrite the integral as follows
[tex]= \int \frac{1}{t} dx + \int \frac{18}{t^2} dx + \int \frac{81}{t^3} dx[/tex]
6. Integrate each part
[tex]= ln(t) - \frac{18}{t} - \frac{81}{2t^2} + c[/tex]
7. My final answer
[tex]\int \frac{(t+9)^2}{t^3} dx = ln(t) - \frac{18}{t} - \frac{81}{2t^2} + c[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is essentially correct.
You can use WolframAlpha to check it if you're unsure of any answer you have in the future.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+(t+9)^2/t^3 (Your answer is simplified).

The mistake I see from your work is that you're integrating with respect to x. Your colonel (what you want to integrate), is in terms of t. Make sure they're consistent otherwise the system you're using to check answers won't understand what you want.

If you're curious as to what you typed will give, it will give this: {[(t+9)^2]/(t^3)}(x) + C

Source:

Calculus 3 student

Haha, thanks for catching that, Differentiate1- I should have seen that while writing my post! I had also checked with Wolfram but wanted to verify with a human just in case. Looks like I need to email the site administrator. Thank you.

Your result excludes x<0 as ln(x) is defined only for x>0. The integral of 1/x is ∫1/x dx =ln|x|.

ehild

Differentiate1 said:
Your colonel (what you want to integrate), is in terms of t.
Colonel? That's a military rank, just below general. Did you mean "kernel"? In English the two words are pronounced the same, but I am not familiar with "kernel" being used in integration. A couple of words that are used are "integrand" and less often, "primitive."

1. What is a simple integration problem?

A simple integration problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the integral or area under a curve. It is usually solved using basic integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

2. What are some common issues that arise when solving simple integration problems?

Some common issues that may arise when solving simple integration problems include making mistakes in the integration process, difficulties in finding the appropriate substitution or integration technique, or encountering complex integrals that cannot be solved using basic techniques.

3. How do I know which integration technique to use for a simple integration problem?

To determine which integration technique to use, you should first try to simplify the integral by using algebraic manipulations or applying basic integration rules. If this does not work, you can try different integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions, until you find one that works.

4. What are some tips for solving simple integration problems?

Some tips for solving simple integration problems include carefully reading and understanding the problem, checking your work for errors, using algebraic manipulations to simplify the integral, and practicing different integration techniques to become more familiar with them.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving simple integration problems?

To improve your skills in solving simple integration problems, you can practice solving a variety of problems, seek help from a tutor or teacher, use online resources or textbooks for extra practice, and review any mistakes you make to learn from them.