What safety precautions should residents take during snowmelt season?

• Thread starter D H
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation centers around the rarity of snow in certain areas, the desire for more snow, and the effects of climate change on weather patterns. Some participants share their experiences with snow and the challenges it can bring, while others express envy for those who have more snow and cold temperatures. The conversation also touches on the dangers of freezing rain and ice accumulation, and how this can impact daily life and events like Christmas parties and weddings.
turbo-1 said:
Note: after the storm, a windy cold air mass moved in, and my mixed flock of goldfinches, siskins, and redpolls has dwindled to just a few individuals.

turbo, have you noticed any woodpeckers? I hope they are okay.

Physics news on Phys.org
Redbelly98 said:
turbo, have you noticed any woodpeckers? I hope they are okay.
Woodpeckers over-winter every year. They love my suet-feeder. Hairy, downy, three-toed... pretty tough birds.

Thanks! Glad to hear it. Yes, damn tough birds we--er, they are!

Redbelly98 said:
Thanks! Glad to hear it. Yes, damn tough birds we--er, they are!
We have the big pileated woodpeckers, too, but they don't visit the suet feeder. I can hear them hooting like maniacs in the woods, though.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7665/snowinmarcho.jpg

A bit unusual in the Seattle area to still be getting snow in March, but this was the view out of my family room this morning. C'mon Spring...hurry up!

Last edited by a moderator:
At least it is a pretty snow!
The tulip trees are blooming here and several redbuds bloomed before our last freeze so I fear this will not be a pretty Spring around here.

lisab said:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7665/snowinmarcho.jpg

A bit unusual in the Seattle area to still be getting snow in March, but this was the view out of my family room this morning. C'mon Spring...hurry up!

Is that a hammock frame in the corner?

Sorry. My eyes are now trained to spot boat keel shaped objects...

It's a neurological disease I'm sure.

ps. Love your garden.

Yes, it is a hammock stand!

Since the weather has improved dramatically since this morning (ah, the great Pacific Northwest weather...like living in 4 different climates, all in one day...Om, you know exactly what I'm talking about!), I just went out and took a pic of what the world looks like from the hammock spot.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2537/viewfromhammock.jpg

It's a nice spot to watch birds, or clouds, or just nothing at all.

We got a little snow this morning, then it turned to sleet, and now it's raining steadily. The people who monitor our snow-pack for flood danger say that the snow has additional capacity to hold water, so we should not get flooding except in isolated spots here and there.

Today, we have spring!

It was 18F this morning, right now it's 28F, the average for this time of year for us is 56F.

Lisbon 17h, 26 °C (79 °F) (Summer time?)
And I've caught a cold!

I must be an Eskimo, because I've got 27 choice words for what was coming down as I came into work this morning. I've never seen this kind before. Most flakes were an inch or more in diameter up to at least 2 inches. It's down to fluries now and just an inch accumulation. I know that wouldn't even be mentioned on the weather report in some places, but around here it's an excuse to drive ill. And this is South Jersey where the base level of driving is distressing to begin with.

We just had a hail storm. They're not that uncommon here, this is the second one in a few years that I know of. The hailstones were about the size of peas and the storm lasted about 15 minutes.

Saturday we had a very bad ice and snow storm. Luckily only minor tree damage.

Still warm and raining steadily here. I'm glad, because it's the fasted way to get rid of all this snow. According to the hydrologists, we should be safe from flooding in all but the most low-lying areas because the water content of the existing snow-pack is moderate. Residents of northern towns along rivers in Aroostook county need to be alert to the formation of ice-dams. When the ice starts to break up, big slabs of it accumulate in the narrows and shallows, forcing the water over the banks. Apart from that, our near-record snowfall of last winter seems destined to depart quietly.