Ive a problem? It so easy but I can't get it

In summary: If the acrobat bounces off the trampoline with a velocity of 10.6 m/s over a contact time of 1.02 seconds, what force did the trampoline exert on the acrobat?The trampoline exerted a force of F=720.8 N on the acrobat.
G153
PLEASE HELP A 68 kg acrobat jumps from a 2 meter ledge on to a trampoline. If the acrobat bounces off the trampoline with a velocity of 10.6 m/s over a contact time of 1.02 seconds, what force did the trampoline exert on the acrobat?Well I ve tried to do it multiples times, using the formula Vf=Vi+a*t and solving for a. Then I substitute in the Force equation but I get the wrong number and my teacher told me is the wrong equation but i don't know what else to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you want to look up is the definition of impulse...

I'm not sure we've been using this definition. But eventually, how can I use it?
Shouldn't I find force?

Sure, if you haven't heard of impulse you can start with Newton's 2nd law dp/dt = F, which can also be more loosely written:
Δp = F Δt

So in this case do I use that formula and calculate: Δp= F (found with acceleration) * 1.02s?
So is Δp the force that the problem is asking me?

Δp/Δt is the force, yes.
And yes, Δt is the value you are given, but the "tricky" part is determining Δp because you are only given the value of p when the acrobat is bouncing off but have to determine p when he's coming on the trampoline...

Is it different because the velocity changes right?
For the first p I got p=68*10.6=720.8. So then how am I supposed to find the second one that you were talking about?

Well, what's the acceleration of a falling body near the surface of the earth?

9.8 m/s^2 ?

correct, so what is v(t) for a falling object?
how long will it take the object to fall 2 meters if it starts from rest?

If he jumps off a ledge 2 m above the trampoline, what do you think his velocity was immediately before he made contact with the trampoline?

Chet

1. What do I do when I have a problem that seems easy but I can't solve it?

First, take a step back and assess the problem objectively. Break it down into smaller, manageable parts and identify the specific issue you are struggling with. Then, try different problem-solving strategies, such as brainstorming or seeking help from others. Don't be afraid to ask for assistance or approach the problem from a different angle.

2. Why is it important to address even seemingly easy problems?

No matter how small or insignificant a problem may seem, it can still have a negative impact if left unresolved. Ignoring problems can also lead to bigger issues in the future. It's important to address all problems, no matter how easy they may seem, to prevent them from escalating and to maintain a sense of control and organization in your life.

3. Is it normal to struggle with seemingly easy problems?

Yes, it is completely normal to have difficulty with seemingly easy problems. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, and what may seem easy for one person may be challenging for another. Don't be too hard on yourself and remember that it's okay to ask for help or take a break and come back to the problem later.

4. How can I prevent getting stuck on easy problems in the future?

One way to prevent getting stuck on easy problems is to continuously practice problem-solving skills and techniques. This will help you build confidence and become more efficient at identifying and solving problems. It is also important to stay organized and break down problems into smaller, manageable tasks to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

5. What should I do if I still can't solve the problem?

If you have tried different strategies and approaches and still cannot solve the problem, don't be afraid to seek help from others. This could be a friend, family member, or colleague who may have a different perspective or expertise that can assist you. You can also consider seeking professional help, such as a tutor or therapist, if needed.