1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical spring (trampoline) compresion.

1. Mar 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A student jumping on a trampoline reaches a maximum height of h = 0.96 m. The student has a mass of m = 58 kg.
    What is the student's speed immediately before she reaches the trampoline after the jump in m/s?
    answer: 4.338
    If, when she lands on the trampoline, she stretches the trampoline down d = 0.75 m, what is the spring constant k in N/m of the trampoline?
    h=0.96m
    m=58 kg
    d= 0.75
    v=4.338
    2. Relevant equations
    KE=(1/2)mv2
    F=(1/2)kx
    SpringPE=(1/2)kx2
    ΔPe=mgh
    W=fd cos(Θ)
    KE=-PE

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have had a gruesome time trying to understand spring related questions.
    First I took F=-kx and solved for k, leading to -k=F/x leading to k=mg/x. This is wrong however, because the force of the trampoline is greater than the force exerted by gravity on the person. so in the equation we have 2 unknowns, k and f.
    So I took formula KE=-PE
    KE=(1/2)mv2
    SpringPE=(1/2)kx2
    leading to (1/2)mv2=-(1/2)kx2
    thus -mv2/x2=k
    This didn't give the correct answer and I'm not sure why. Is KE also supposed to inclued the KE of the falling person?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2014 #2
    seems like you forgot to include gravitational potential energy in your calculation

4. Mar 22, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

When the student reaches maximum height, is she in contact with the surface of the trampoline?

They can be pretty gruesome.

Yes: mg=kx when the person is just standing on the trampoline - this is the equilibrium condition.
    When she jumps, she passes through the equilibrium.

Where else would you get the KE from?
    Why is your value of k negative? Does that make sense?

Your calculation assumes that all the KE from the person falling a height h goes into the trampoline - and nothing else. What about gravitational PE dropping additional distance d?

5. Mar 22, 2014 #4
    Thank you guys very much. With your help and suggestions, I have come up with the equation (1/2)mv^2=0.5kx^2+mgh.
    I thank you guys very much.

6. Mar 22, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Um...

You should be careful to use the variables from the problem statement in your formulas.
    i.e. (1/2)mv^2 is the kinetic energy gained falling a distance h ... which is mgh
    so you wrote: mgh=0.5kx^2+mgh which means that k=0.

I'm sure that is not what you meant?

Note: how much of that initial GPE ends up stored in the spring?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted