I've done this problem at least 85 times what am I doing wrong?

• Thread starter vitaebellaa
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves two plastic chips with a mass of 4.5x10^-5, separated by a distance of 1.5mm and carrying equal and opposite electrostatic charges. The task is to determine the magnitude of the charge if the electric attraction between the two chips is equal to the weight of one chip. Using Coloumb's law and the equation for weight, the charge is calculated to be 3.322x10^-9.
vitaebellaa

Homework Statement

"Two tiny chips of plastic masses 4.5x10^-5 are separated by a distance of 1.5 mm. Suppose that they carry equal and opposite electrostatic charges +/-q. What must the magnitude of the charge be if the electric attraction between them is equal to the weight of one chip?"

Homework Equations

Fe=k*[(qxq)/d^2]
weight= mass (in kg) x 9.8 m/s^2
q=charge
d=distance
k=Coloumb's constant, 8.99x10^9

The Attempt at a Solution

1. First I have calculated the weight of one mass: .0045kg x 9.8 = .0441 N
2. then I set that equal to Coloumb's eq to try to solve for q. I divided k to the left so .0441 / 8.99x10^9 = 4.9054x10^-12.
3. I multiplied 4.9054x10^-12 by d^2 (or .0015^2) and got 1.1x10^-17
4. At this point I have q^2=1.1x10^-17 so I do a square root and get 3.322x10^-9. I have tried to tweek my answer so many times but to no more avail. I have spent almost an hour on this problem (pathetic, I know) but this problem set is due tomorrow and smartwork is being uncooperative. I would really appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi vitaebellaa! welcome to pf! :smile:
vitaebellaa said:
"Two tiny chips of plastic masses 4.5x10^-5

1. First I have calculated the weight of one mass: .0045kg x 9.8 = .0441 N

shouldn't that be 0.000045 ? :redface:

WOW! 85 times? ... i have to say .. you got patience

1. What could be causing me to make the same mistake over and over again?

There are several reasons why you might be experiencing this issue. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the problem, not paying attention to details, or not using the correct methodology. It is also possible that you are not taking breaks between attempts, which can lead to mental fatigue and errors. It is important to assess your approach and make necessary changes to prevent repeating the same mistake.

2. Is it possible that the problem itself is flawed?

While it is possible that the problem could have errors or inconsistencies, it is more likely that the issue lies in your approach or understanding. Double-checking the problem and seeking guidance from others can help determine if the problem is indeed flawed or if there is a misunderstanding on your part.

3. Why am I not able to solve the problem despite multiple attempts?

Solving a problem is a process that requires patience, focus, and persistence. It is possible that you may not have all the necessary information or skills to solve the problem, and that's okay. Take a step back, review your approach, and seek help from others if needed. Remember to stay calm and keep trying.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving is a skill that can be improved through practice and learning. Some strategies to improve problem-solving skills include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, seeking different perspectives, and using trial and error. It is also helpful to review past mistakes and learn from them.

5. Is it normal to struggle with a problem multiple times?

Yes, it is completely normal to struggle with a problem multiple times. Problem-solving is a process and it is common to make mistakes and encounter difficulties along the way. The important thing is to not give up and continue to learn and improve from each attempt.