Jackson Problem 3.12/3.18 -- Electric potential near two plates

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a configuration with two plates and finding potential. The solution to problem 3.12 provides half of the solution, but additional considerations must be made for problem 3.18 due to a change in the boundary condition. The result from problem 3.17 and equation 1.44 can be used to determine the potential in the volume.
PP27

Homework Statement

I need to solve a problem like Jackson 3.18. I need to find potential due to the same configuration but the position of two plates is opposite i.e. Plate at Z=0 contains disc with potential V and plate at Z=0 is grounded.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think solution of problem 3.12 gives half of the solution as the value of potential in terms of bessel solution. But, i can't figure out what additional things must be done to complete this problem in addition to problem 3.12.

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 403
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to PF!

You need to reconsider the function Z(z). The boundary condition for this function changes when going from prob. 3.12 to prob. 3.18.

This is a straightforward application of the result of problem 3.17, once you have the Green function, then simple application of equation 1.44 gives you the potential in the volume.

1. What is the Jackson Problem 3.12/3.18?

The Jackson Problem 3.12/3.18 refers to two specific problems in the textbook "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson. These problems deal with calculating the electric potential near two parallel conducting plates.

2. What is the significance of calculating the electric potential near two plates?

Calculating the electric potential near two plates is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields in a system with parallel conductors. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and energy generation.

3. What factors affect the electric potential near two plates?

The electric potential near two plates is affected by the distance between the plates, the charge on the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. Additionally, the presence of other nearby charges can also affect the potential.

4. How is the electric potential near two plates calculated?

The electric potential near two plates can be calculated using the formula V = Q/εA, where V is the potential, Q is the charge on the plates, ε is the dielectric constant, and A is the area of the plates. This formula assumes that the plates are parallel and infinite in size.

5. What are some applications of the electric potential near two plates?

The electric potential near two plates has various applications, such as in parallel plate capacitors, which are used in electronic circuits and energy storage devices. It is also important in the design and functioning of antennas and other telecommunications equipment.