Jacobi Method; Simple system of equations

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Jacobi method to solve for the solution (x=2 and y=1) but the iterations do not seem to be getting closer. The suggested method involves using matrices and evaluating each iteration using a specific formula. It is also mentioned that using a small program in MatLab, it takes approximately 19 iterations to be accurate to within 2 decimal places.
RogerDodgr
I know this is simple, and I am missing something obvious. I'm suposed to use the "jacobi method"; and with each iteration it should be getting closer and closer to the solution (x=2 and y=1, which it is not). Could someone explain what I'm doing wrong, or how to start?
http://www.sudokupuzzles.net/IMG_0031.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you do it using matrices, you'll get the coefficient matrix

[tex]\displaystyle T=\begin{pmatrix} 0 & -\frac{1}{2}\\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]
and
[tex] c = \begin{pmatrix} 2.5\\-1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Then you can evaluate each iteration via

[tex] \displaystyle x_{k+1} = T x_k + c [/tex]

where k+1 is your iteration number, and by looking at your work, you've chosen (0,0) to be your initial guess. I'm not too sure the numbers match up with what you've shown, but give it a try.

Using a small program in MatLab, I found that in order to be accurate to within 2 decimal places, it requires about 19 iterations. 3 decimal places took 26 iterations, and 4 decimal places takes about 46. Needless to say, it doesn't converge very quickly.

1. What is the Jacobi Method?

The Jacobi Method is an iterative algorithm used to solve a system of linear equations. It is commonly used when the system of equations is large and sparse, meaning there are many variables and most of the coefficients are zero.

2. How does the Jacobi Method work?

The Jacobi Method works by repeatedly updating the values of the variables in the system of equations based on the previous values. Each iteration, the values are updated using a formula that takes into account the coefficients and constants in the equations. This process continues until the values converge to a solution.

3. What are the advantages of using the Jacobi Method?

The Jacobi Method is relatively easy to implement and can be used to solve large and sparse systems of equations. It also allows for parallel computation, making it efficient for solving systems with many variables.

4. What are the limitations of the Jacobi Method?

The Jacobi Method may not converge to a solution for some systems of equations, especially when the coefficients are not well-behaved. It also requires a large number of iterations to reach a high level of accuracy, making it computationally expensive.

5. How is the accuracy of the Jacobi Method determined?

The accuracy of the Jacobi Method is determined by the number of iterations performed and the convergence criteria set by the user. Generally, a higher number of iterations and a smaller convergence criteria will result in a more accurate solution, but at the cost of increased computation time.