Jacobians, changing variables in multiple integration

In summary, the Jacobian of the given transformation is the determinant of the matrix with entries \frac{\partial x}{\partial u}, \frac{\partial x}{\partial v}, \frac{\partial y}{\partial u}, \frac{\partial y}{\partial v}, which for this specific problem would be ad-bc. However, the textbook's given answers show that they are using a general formula for finding the determinant of a 2x2 matrix, which is not an answer to this specific problem. For more information on Jacobians, please refer to the provided resources.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

Find the Jacobian of the transformation.

1) x=uv, y=u^2+v^2

2)x=v+w, y=u+w, z=u+v

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

The textbook gave the answers for 1) ad-bc and 2) 2
How do I do this type of problem? I don't know how to get these answers. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
xzibition8612 said:

Homework Statement

Find the Jacobian of the transformation.

1) x=uv, y=u^2+v^2

2)x=v+w, y=u+w, z=u+v

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

The textbook gave the answers for 1) ad-bc and 2) 2
How do I do this type of problem? I don't know how to get these answers. Thanks a lot.
I don't know what you could mean by "ad- bc" since there is no a, b, c, or d in the problem. Perhaps you mean that the Jacobian, for a 2 variable problem, is the determinant
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}& \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} \\ \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\end{array}\right|[/tex]

and, of course,
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d\end{array}\right|= ad- bc[/tex]
but that's a general formula, not an answer to this problem.

Jacobian can mean (1) a matrix whose ij entry is the partial derivative of the ith component of the transformation with respect to its jth argument (where i denotes the row and j the column), or (2) the determinant of this matrix. The textbook's answers show that it means (2) the determinant.

In question 1, the first component of the transformation is x. The second is y. So the Jacobian matrix is

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{\partial x}{\partial u} & & \frac{\partial x}{\partial v}\\
& & \\
\frac{\partial y}{\partial u} & & \frac{\partial y}{\partial v}
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

The textbook's "answer" which you quote for this one isn't an answer to the specific problem, but a general formula for finding the deterimant of a 2x2 matrix whose entries are labelled a, b, c, d, thus

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}
a & & b\\
& & \\
c & & d
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

(I see from the preview HallsofIvy has already given much the same answer, but I'll post this anyway, in case this more spaced out way of printing the matrix makes it clearer. Halls has followed the convention whereby the Jacobian matrix is defined as the inverse of mine. Check which convention your textbook uses.)

1. What is a Jacobian in multiple integration?

A Jacobian is a mathematical concept that represents the relationship between two coordinate systems. In multiple integration, it is used to convert the variables in an integral from one coordinate system to another.

2. Why do we need to change variables in multiple integration?

Changing variables in multiple integration can make the integral easier to solve or evaluate. It can also help to visualize the problem and understand the geometry of the region being integrated.

3. How do you calculate the Jacobian in multiple integration?

The Jacobian is calculated using partial derivatives. It is the determinant of a matrix of partial derivatives of the new variables with respect to the old variables.

4. Can the Jacobian be negative in multiple integration?

Yes, the Jacobian can be negative in multiple integration. This indicates a change in orientation of the coordinate system, which can affect the final result of the integral.

5. Are there any limitations to changing variables in multiple integration?

Yes, there are certain limitations to changing variables in multiple integration. The new variables must be smooth and invertible functions of the old variables, and the region of integration must also be transformed accordingly. Additionally, the Jacobian must be non-zero for the transformation to be valid.