Find the volume of the region bounded by the planes (Multiple Integration).

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 12K views
s3a
Messages
828
Reaction score
8

Homework Statement


Find the volume of the region bounded by the planes 7x + 6y + 8z = 9, y = x, x = 0, z = 0.

Homework Equations


Multiple integration.

The Attempt at a Solution


My attempt at a solution is attached. To test, I computed the answer with Wolfram Alpha which yielded an incorrect answer of 243/5488.

Any help in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
 
Attachments
  • MyWork.jpg
    MyWork.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,423
Physics news on Phys.org
You have decided to integrate with respect to z, then y, then x so look at the projection down to the plane z= 0. When z= 0 the plane 7x+ 6y+ 8z= 9 becomes the line 7x+ 6y= 9 which intersects the x-axis at (9/7, 0) and the y-axis at (0, 3/2).

So x will range from 0 to 9/7 and, for each x, y will range from 0 to (9- 7x)/6. In your attachment, you have the equation y= (9- 7x)/6 but, for some reason, you show the upper limit of the "dy" integral as just x rather than (9- 7x)/6.
 
My latest triple integral (in the image I just attached) is wrong. Did I misinterpret what you said?
 
Attachments
  • TripleIntegral.jpg
    TripleIntegral.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,064
I re-attempted the problem based on some new stuff I've learned but I still get a wrong answer. (I attached my latest work.) Could you please tell me what's wrong in the setup?
 
I've been reading how to do this, you want to take a double integral of your plane as follows:

$$ \int_0^{\frac{9}{7}} \int_0^{\frac{9-7x}{6}} \frac{9-7x-6y}{8} dy dx $$
 
Last edited: